Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Clearing Ash  (Read 2366 times)

Andybarnes

• Happy Cooker
Clearing Ash
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »
Hope this is the right place for advice. Please advise if not.

I've just given my Mastertouch 57cm its first outing. Would love some tips on how folks clear down the system after cooking.

I was left with a number of coals that weren't completely burnt through, I shaked them off and put them back in the bag to reuse. Is this OK?

I also found that the blades did not remove the last 20% of ash - it seemed to push a bit of ash to each side of the blades which then became out of reach! I had to do this last bit by hand. Is that normal, or does it sound like I'm doing it wrong?

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Clearing Ash
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »
Hope this is the right place for advice. Please advise if not.

I've just given my Mastertouch 57cm its first outing. Would love some tips on how folks clear down the system after cooking.

I was left with a number of coals that weren't completely burnt through, I shaked them off and put them back in the bag to reuse. Is this OK?
I don't put them back in the bag, but rather leave them in the Weber charcoal basket.

I also found that the blades did not remove the last 20% of ash - it seemed to push a bit of ash to each side of the blades which then became out of reach! I had to do this last bit by hand. Is that normal, or does it sound like I'm doing it wrong?
Normal.
If I want to completely clear the ash, I'll use an old 2" paintbrush to sweep it down.
Once in a while I'll give the whole thing a wash down with the hose.

Andybarnes

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »
Hi DirectDrive!

Thanks a million for the speedy reply, very reassuring. I'll be sure to do that in future - that paintbrush especially sounds like a fantastic idea.

I'm fairly new to BBQ'ing, so as a quick last question... When do you find it's best to use the wire brush to clean the grates? It seems pretty hard work - I had a go shortly after I'd finish cooking and it was already pretty firmly on there!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
I'm fairly new to BBQ'ing, so as a quick last question... When do you find it's best to use the wire brush to clean the grates? It seems pretty hard work - I had a go shortly after I'd finish cooking and it was already pretty firmly on there!

Cleaning the grates is done in a couple of different ways.

It's always helpful to put a brush on them when they're still warm right after a cook.
There are often grease drippings on the bottom side and some will use a high heat to burn this off.

I have a new grate on my 22.5" (57) and have been keeping after it pretty well as an experiment.
It's a flip up so I keep the "flippers" out of the fire when I can.

I bought a hot water heater catch pan for soaking the grate when it needs it...this makes the scrubbing go very easily after a short soak of warm water and dish detergent.

When dry, I give them a shot of cooking oil spray.

You will get "yellowing" from the smoke on the new grate...I've stopped fighting this and let it exist on the outboard sections of the grate.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »

andy, grates are a bit easier to clean if warmed up.....either after the cook soon (I'm usually too full to get there at that time!!!), or as they're coming up to heat on the next cookup...........

A got a few pics today of using a plastic paint scraper to clean bowl & lid.....will put up when I'm done.....

^^^^  There's your deep clean method, too !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Andybarnes

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
Thanks for your replies! I'll just try harder I think! Love the soaking method!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »

There's your deep clean method, too !!!!

Killed the hell out of the wife's grass with my baking soda/vinegar potion !
I liked it....less to mow !

:)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 05:23:31 AM »
I only scrape the grate before the food goes on. It comes off well when it is hot.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-