Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked this up today  (Read 3814 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Picked this up today
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »
I'm new here and looking for guidance to get this thing up and running. I was told to come here since this is where the kettle experts hang out. I know it's E vintage and is a OTG. The ash scraper is missing but the lever is intact and frozen solid. I'll soak that in penetrating oil and mabe use a little heat to get that off. I was told to go with the newer H drive but not sure where to get one. Also want to try and refresh the wood handles and try and straighten out the lid handle. Here are some pics.

Thanks in advance for you help. :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Picked this up today
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:01 PM »
Hi Nate. The newer-style so-called "H-drive" One Touch System is available at many Ace hardware stores, or maybe DoItBest stores. I've sometimes seen them at Home Depot.

If all else fails, go to Amazon.

An angle grinder or some holes drilled into that nut will take it off if the penetrating oil won't.

3 wood handles ... nice machine!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:21:25 PM »
Not sure if it's a OTG that has been tampered with or a OTS.
It does have the ash pan spring clips of a OTS.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »
You can have the one touch system shipped to an Ace or Home Depot if you can't find one in the store. Just order on line and do a store pick up so you don't pay shipping. Looks like a silver with the ash pan clips. Did it come with the ash pan? You can use a dremel to cut the nut off or drill out the thumb screw if it breaks off, so you can pull the bar out.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »

Howdy Nate.......

See Here for a quick explanation if the oil doesn't get the thing undone:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-little-redhead-mod/

You can use an angle grinder, dremel, even hacksaw, with power tools take care to let up as it finishes to not skate across the bottom of the bowl.......

the Red kettle in the thread is a Silver, converted to a Gold, with the enclosed ashpan.....several ways to do that if you'd like to in the future.........

The thread comes from the "Technical Reference" right up above your current post here ^^^^^
Hi-lited in light red.....there's stuff for removing rust & extra polishing tips & all kinds of stuff there, check it out.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
I ordered parts on amazon prime. No ash pan, the guy couldn't find it. I got this for free even though he was asking $30. You guys are the experts so I'm sure it's a OTS. I was just told that the silver had one handle and the gold had 2 and that the ash catchers were the same for a 1983 model. But the one that 1buckle provided a link to is of the same year and that is a silver and has the same number of handles.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
Welcome to the club, Nate!
I have had good luck straightening lid handles by tapping on them carefully with a rubber mallet.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
... I was just told that the silver had one handle and the gold had 2 and that the ash catchers were the same for a 1983 model. ...

Don't know where on the site it's mentioned, but yes, for some years even the OTS got 3 handles.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
I have 5 or 6 Silvers with two wood bowl handles, some of 'em real nice, some beaters.........
real common........

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
Nate it is a nice kettle. The WKC team will help you out with your needs to get it into cook shape.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 08:17:04 PM »

Did you see the "Weber Kettle Technical Reference Library" thing?

that's a bunch of culled experience about cleaning, restoration, finding age-matching parts & on & on........

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

Did you see the "Weber Kettle Technical Reference Library" thing?

that's a bunch of culled experience about cleaning, restoration, finding age-matching parts & on & on........

I'll need to check that out. Thanks.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Did a quick cleaning this afternoon. Could have done a better job but I want to start cooking on this thing. Still need to pick up an ash catcher, maybe in the morning. Took the wood handles off and will try and clean them up a bit too.  :D

Straightened the Handel the best I could

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 04:15:04 PM »
Looks great !
Another kettle to a good home !

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
That came out nice. If your interested in cleaning out the bowl better, a straight razor will do it in about an hour.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow