Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Banking coals vs middle of kettle.....  (Read 4144 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Banking coals vs middle of kettle.....
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »
I usually bank my coals.....rotating the area every couple of cooks or so.   

A couple of weeks ago I was making burgers...I always make at least a dozen.... So this time I piled the coals in a low pile in the middle, but not completely spread out.   I had some cool spots to play with on the edges. 

It worked out pretty well...... So I tried it again with pork steaks.  They have been coming out great.  I can circle 6 around, it's tight, but they fit. 

I technically cook for 6, but cook for 8 so the hubs can have food for lunch the next day.  And this works out better than banking for me. 

Anyone else do this?   

ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Banking coals vs middle of kettle.....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
Absolutely.....
It's what led to 14-1/2 hours cooks, for me......

Careful...... :)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
Haha!   Well.....to be honest.....my food  has been coming out wayyyyy better lately.   got a bit more confidence with my cooking now!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
Good Deal !!!

That's always nice when you sort of realize that you've taken it up a notch or two !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
If i understand it right you are cooking on the edge, indirect yes?  About how many coals do you use?  Thanks
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »
If i understand it right you are cooking on the edge, indirect yes?  About how many coals do you use?  Thanks

Not completely on the edge.....but yes on the outer "ring" when my coals are piled in the middle. 
Coals - center
Meat - Around coals in a circle
Outside edging -  good amount of space for turning meat and pulling to away from heat when needed.

When banking and cooking large amounts like I usually do....it was a pain to always be rotating the meat from front to back....back to front.... Etc.  I have more consistent cooking and done time like this. 

Edited to add:

The amount of coals depends on what I'm cooking, but a lot of the times it's about 3/4 of a chimney.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »
I've been experimenting with using a large pile of coals in the middle to sear, then moving the meats out to the outer edge of the grill to finish indirect.  This seems to work especially well with pieces of chicken.  I've started removing the skin as well--so the rub penetrates into the meat, and to prevent fires from fat.  I noticed the meat from the tandoor oven at the Indian restaurant was done this way, so I followed their lead.

To maintain a more definite separation and provide even heating, I've been using the half-round coal baskets (either the newer stamped-metal ones, or the older wire-style baskets) pushed together in the center.  This also makes it easier to set up and start the fire, especially if you're using a Performer. 
One of the charcoal people.

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
I just got some charcoal baskets that I've experimented in the same ways: cookin one side indirect with one basket, put them together in the middle, and placing them on two sides and cook indirect in the middle.  Good stuff with interesting results from each method.