Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: kettle cleaning tips  (Read 10407 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
kettle cleaning tips
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
I've been cleaning a couple of lids and bowls over the last week, and thought maybe I'd post up my favorite cleaning techniques.  Most all of which I've learned from the folks around here, but maybe some of our newer members will appreciate some ideas from us crusty veterans.

1.  Razor blade.  Kudos to the first person to ever try something that seems so sure to scratch the heck out of the porcelain, but damn this works like a charm.  I grab mine with a pair of Vice-Grips to give me extra leverage and to keep my hand from cramping.  First thing I do is to go over the whole inside of the bowl and lid dry, before...

2.  Long soak.  Seriously, water works wonders.  I put the lid upside down in the bowl, then submerge the whole works in a big Rubbermaid container.  After an overnight soak, I scrape it again with the razor blade, then repeat.

3. Stainless steel scrubbing pad.  I get these at Target, and they are great for cleaning up SS skillets in the kitchen.  While I would technically not consider this a fully approved method (I'm too chicken to try it on the outside of the bowl, where I always use softer 0000 steel wool), it does a great job of scrubbing out the last of the hazy stuff once the razor blade has done its job.   I use it with dish detergent, and haven't seen it scratch the porcelain at all. 

4.  Trash can.  Big ups to Bman for suggesting this.  Take an old plastic trash can and use it to hold your lid and bowl while you scrub it out.  Makes a stable base, and saves your back a bit.  (I've also started putting a trash liner in the can, which is a handy collection point for all the black bits that come out of the inside of these used kettles.)

...alright, what is *your* tip for cleaning up kettles?
One of the charcoal people.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Re: kettle cleaning tips
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:31:58 PM »
+1 on the razor blade. That was single handedly the most important tool in my cleanups so far.

2nd...any 5 gallon tall bucket can be used to hold up the lid/bowl upside down or right side up for a scrub down. I usually sit on another 5 gallon bucket to save my back while scrubbing/razor blading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
 I use a razor blade, to get the worst off the inside, then 0000 steel wool, a little water and Dawn dish soap to finish cleaning the inside and outside. Some of them have been pretty nasty, on the inside. I use a folding table to set them on to keep them at the right height, while sitting on my rolling stool.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Alfonso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »
What about the crusty three wheeler vents that have been crusted over and pryed off the bowl surface by 1/4 inch?
Simple green and WD-40 to free up the vents.
600 grit to clean off the heavy crust followed by 0000 steel wool and Maguires aluminum polish and then simichrome polish. 
All this scrubbing and rubbing reshapes the aluminum vent to mate with the bowl contour with no air gap.
Whew! What a rant!

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:07:27 AM »
Covering the grates in Greased Ligthening and/or oven cleaner, then placing in a garbage bag to soak in the sun has worked wonders for me.  Then I usually use a razor blade to scrape off what has been loosened by the cleaner.  Rinse and repeat.

I really like the trash can idea.  That would definately save your back and make the cleaning process more enjoyable (is cleaning ever enjoyable?).

I've given up on cleaning older ash sweepers.  A cutting wheel or hacksaw to remove them and then replacing them has saved me much frustration.
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:57:48 AM »
For holding the razor blade......I picked up a set of these from Harbor Freight for $7

That long handled one is just what the doctor ordered.  Works great, and allows you to get good leverage without killing your hands.
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »
Some really good tips here I haven't read about before. And it's the details about a razor handle here or a bucket perch there that can make all the difference.

What about the crusty three wheeler vents that have been crusted over and pryed off the bowl surface by 1/4 inch?
Simple green and WD-40 to free up the vents.
600 grit to clean off the heavy crust followed by 0000 steel wool and Maguires aluminum polish and then simichrome polish. 
All this scrubbing and rubbing reshapes the aluminum vent to mate with the bowl contour with no air gap.
Whew! What a rant!

Thanks, I have just such a project coming up and would't have guessed that polishing an intake vent will help push it back to where it needs to be.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »
That's a great tool tip, Pez! 

I couldn't find that set very easily at Harbor Freight, but found something similar at the Mighty 'Zon:
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52000-Razor-Blade-Scraper/dp/B0002SR88C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401383518&sr=8-3&keywords=razor+blade+holders

...all of which reminds me that I started using razor blades to scrape out the floor of the oven instead of using oven cleaners or other liquids.  Most of that gunk slides right off with a razor, then I just vacuum out the shiny oven.

(...yes, we occasionally cook in the oven at my house.  ;-)    )
One of the charcoal people.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
Those blue handled small razor blade scrapers are fantastic! WAAAY better then the retractable style where the button always slips. Nice and solid!

Home Depot sells them on their own up here, think they are about $4 or $5
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
You razor blade guys will have to pry the oven cleaner from my cold, dead hands.

Which might be the case based on the fumes.  (Wear a mask/bandana when using the stuff.)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
Those fumes are crazy, always feel like I'm going to die using that stuff. But, it works great!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »
You razor blade guys will have to pry the oven cleaner from my cold, dead hands.

Which might be the case based on the fumes.  (Wear a mask/bandana when using the stuff.)

Even with the razor blades, if you're not careful you can impale yourself.
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »

+1 a good long soak with oven cleaner and rinse with 5gal bucket of hot water.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »

lol, couldn't agree more - the stuff is nasty but it works SO well. I usually let it soak overnight or at least for a few hours then use the scraper to peel the gunk then #0000 to finish things off.
...and the "fume free" stuff doesn't seem to work near as well.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 11:11:02 AM »
The Dollar Tree oven cleaner along with razor blades and stainless steel scrub buddies work for me.