Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Starting the charcoal fire  (Read 8098 times)

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Starting the charcoal fire
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »
I picked up a pack of those Weber fire starters and I like them a lot since I wanted get away from using lighter fluid. Do you have any tricks of the trade to light charcoal other the lighter fluid and newspaper under a chimney? The thing I hate about the newspaper is the fire doesn't last and when you lift the chimney all the paper is flying all of the place.

What are you all using?
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Re: Starting the charcoal fire
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »
Just thought about this, buying match light, and using 1 or 2 pieces to get the fire going?

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »
Gas assist Performer is awesome.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
Just thought about this, buying match light, and using 1 or 2 pieces to get the fire going?

I've seen folks do that....usually it comes from getting matchlite along with a kettle pickup......couple pieces won't hurt, I just don't like the smell of it burning very much...............

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:20:17 PM »
Gas assist Performer is awesome.

This! I fired up a chimney with the gas assist today while by bro-in-law looked on and gave me the nod of approval.  He converted to gas a long time ago but I think I have him thinking about charcoal again. 
A more practical solution is burning a brown paper bag (burns longer than newspaper) or a paper towel w/ a little oil on it.  Cube are good and you could probably get away w/ using a 1/2 cube especially if using lump.  Lump in a chimney fires up quick. 
WTB 18 fruit

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
why don't you use a weber cube under the chimney?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
I still have a partially-used bag of MatchLight bought last year in desperation when my Performer's Touch 'N Go system wasn't yet operational. I placed a few pieces on the charcoal grate and lit them as if they were Weber wax cubes BECAUSE I COULDN'T FIND MY PACKAGE OF WEBER CUBES AND I WAS NOT GONNA BUY MORE, KNOWING THEY WERE SOMEWHERE IN THE HOUSE. (Have I mentioned I'm stubborn?)

I picked up a pack of those Weber fire starters ... Do you have any tricks of the trade to light charcoal other the lighter fluid ...

LightningBoldtz asks the pertinent question: You already know about the Weber paraffin cubes, are you looking for something else/better/different?

It's been suggested that the cubes can be cut in half and still work just as good, so there's a possible efficiency savings.

You mentioned MatchLight, which, long term, a bag is cheaper than the Weber cubes, yes. But they don't produce as big a flame and take longer to get the chimney going. "You get what you pay for."

Try a bag of lump charcoal. The price may turn you off but a few pieces of lump in the bottom of the chimney will get it going even faster, even if you decide not to cook with it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »
if you want a real treat and a possible visit from the local fire dept.

spark up a chimney full of matchlight.

I think it would be visible from space.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:51:07 PM »
if you want a real treat and a possible visit from the local fire dept.

spark up a chimney full of matchlight.

I think it would be visible from space.

Speaking of sparks, I lit a chimney of Frontier lump the other day and the sound is what got my attention. I need more mats on the deck if I'm to use my 6 bags of that stuff this summer.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
Too much spark, do this.....

Windy at all, set a small rock on top of the pan......

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
LightningBoldtz asks the pertinent question: You already know about the Weber paraffin cubes, are you looking for something else/better/different?
It's been suggested that the cubes can be cut in half and still work just as good, so there's a possible efficiency.

I was curious to find out what you veterans are doing or tricks of the trade. I'm new to the charcoal game and only have a few grillin sessions on my kettle. Still learning how to drive this thing and seemed I used more of those cubes the last time. I do have some lump coal and used a few pieces.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
Mark from Canada uses this:

I used to use the newspaper method. Now I use my weed burner. Works great!

cbpeck beat me to it by mere seconds.  ;) ;)

From this thread:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/chimney-lighting/msg96819/?topicseen#msg96819

Here's another piece from him that shows the unit:

The technical term for a weed burner is "propane torch".
They come in various sizes, and features. This one is the basic.
Have a look at a local hardware store or even an auto parts store.
They might know where to get one if not there.
I even use it to lite charcoal. Works fantastic for that!  8)

I also have this one for actually fighting weeds.
It has a longer wand, so I don't have to bend over ... a little easier on the back.  :) :)

GeoBarnes

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »
We have Weber charcoal chimney starter as it is quicker, easier and safe option. IT would take hardly 30 minutes an now the charcoal are ready to use.

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:01 AM »
I rip off one chunk of an empty egg carton (part that holds egg), stuff it with a paper towel, dose in a little veggie oil and light. I  stick that under the chimney that has a brown lunch bag stuffed in the bottom.

This works perfectly for me every time.
I'm new to grilling so go easy on me.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 06:03:50 AM »
I must be doing something wrong.........I just use.....newspaper! :o Works for me everytime. I will use the pages from a phone book too if I don't have any newspaper...I just avoid the glossy ad portions of the paper.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!