Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef Short Ribs  (Read 6118 times)

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
Beef Short Ribs
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »
I picked up some beef short ribs from my butcher on Monday for the 4 of July dinner.  The racks were 7lbs between the two, very nice meaty marbled ribs.  $5 a lb and well worth it!

Splashed with Worcestershire, then rubbed liberally with Wolfe Rub Bold.

Cooked indirect with lump and two big pieces of Apple Wood.

Started with a coat of Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet Sauce after the ribs had cooked for 4 hours.

Final coat of sauce at the 5 hour mark.

Ribs are done and ready to rest while the corn cooks.

Time to eat.  The ribs were like butter, very rich, flavorful, tender and filling. 

We had homemade potato salad, homemade pasta salad and sub-par corn.  You’d think this time of the year the corn would be great……

Bones came squeaky clean. NO I didn’t eat all of these, they were from all three of us.  One rib I would consider a serving, that’s how meaty they were.  Shawn and I split a second one.

Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Beef Short Ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
Great job Larry,

I doesn't look like you foiled them. Please share you views on foiling. I also see you didn;t use the CI grates. Any special reason why? I usually just remove one ot two of the inserts when I am smoking. Love the Wolfe Rub!

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:45:35 AM »
Great job Larry,

I doesn't look like you foiled them. Please share you views on foiling. I also see you didn;t use the CI grates. Any special reason why? I usually just remove one ot two of the inserts when I am smoking. Love the Wolfe Rub!

I used to foil pork and beef ribs, but stopped doing it years ago.  Mainly due to laziness, but also because the ribs don't really need to be foiled if cooked 'right'.  Right - meaning until tender.  Cooking temps in either case are really moot IMO, just cook until tender.  Ideal temps for me are between 250º-350º, this is why I simply do not measure grill/smoker temps anymore at all.  It simply doesn't matter and the variable is so big, thermometers are an un-needed gadget.  I didn't mean to get all KK on you Dookie, but wanted to explain my point of view on your question.

The CI Grates are on my Performer and I already had a fire brick in place for the pizza the other night on my 22" OTG, so I just used that.  I will use one grill for a month or so and then switch back, just to keep you on your toes.

BTW, I used about 3 big handfuls of lump for the 5 hours of cooking yesterday and still had more to go.  Pretty efficient huh!?!
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:24:58 AM »
those ribs look fantastic

i wish i could find cuts like that

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
Yeah, lump is good. I have some oak lump I will be using once I start getting low on KB. Lump is really my favorite, but that KB sale price and it's consistency I also like.

On the temps, I agree. The kettle I have been using doesn't even have a therm right now, and I almost never use a probe. I might on pork loins, chuck rolls or butts, that's about it.

I started as a ceramic cooker and never used foil until I got my WSM after I tried bbqing without it at first. I started foiling and still do, but believe I shouldn't really have too like you said.

Thanks!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
Larry, the ribs look great.

When I make pork ribs...I typically do the 3-2-1 method.  I foil them because I like to put apple juice in there, sometimes a little Jack Daniels too.  Either way, it all comes down to tenderness as Larry said.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Scotty Da Q

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
Dassa very niiice.
Regards,
Scotty Da Q

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »
those ribs look fantastic!!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »
I just recently started foiling and I like the way my ribs come out.
I too like to add some liquid in there. The cut of meat makes allthe difference, unfortuantely my budget only allows for whatever is on sale!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..