Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rare Weber "DEMO" grill found - RESTORED PHOTOS ADDED  (Read 11199 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Rare Weber "DEMO" grill found - RESTORED PHOTOS ADDED
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
So early this week, one of my jobs took myself and a co-worker to a small town in Iowa not too far from Mason City.  We were scheduled to leave during the day on Wednesday to head back home.  After topping off the gas tank for our 5 hour drive home ahead of us, we were driving though the small town working our way towards the highway.  Passing by a small run down house, I caught a glimpse of a blackish/greyish grill sitting in the front yard next to the steps to the front door.  I immediately saw the metal handle on top.  As we passed by, I thought, should I stop and go back?  I knew my co-worker was anxious to hit the road.  I said, "hey, I just saw a really old grill back there."  He said, "do you want to turn around and go see it?"  We were about 5 blocks away, and I said, "yeah, I better go see or I won't stop thinking about it." 
So we turned around, and drove next to the house.  What the hell, so I pulled into the driveway.  I had to ask if the owner would sell it.  As I walked up to it, I saw one wheel cocked to the site, barely on the axle, and resting in the dirt, hub cap missing.  As soon as I walked up to it, I saw the lid.  It had "DEMO" stamped into it.  I had read about these grills briefly, but never saw one in person.  The grill had led a rough life, and had it fair share of bumps and bruises, but it looked solid still. 
I knocked on the door, and a guy in his mid 40s came to the door.  He looked like he led as rough a life as the grill...but that's a whole nother story.  I said hello to him, and told him he was about to get the weirdest request he probably had in a long time.  I asked if he would consider selling his grill.  I told him I liked it cause it was really old and cool looking.  He hesitated at first and said, "well...I really like this grill.   I picked it up at a garage sale a few weeks back.   I've already cooked on it 5 times, its great!"  He also said, they don't make those new grills like this one anymore!  Then I mentioned to him that the newer ones are much easier to use with the One Touch System.  So I explained that versus daisy wheel vents and having to dump the bowl upside to clean it and keep the vents opened.  He looked at me sort of perplexed.  I glanced in the bowl of the grill and saw it half full with ashes.  Now I understood the confused look on his face.   Once I explained he understood and looked like he was wondering how much money he was about to be offered. 
So to make a long story a little shorter, I made an offer to him.  He thought about it for a little while and agreed.  I told him he would be able to find a newer style one easily and it would be easier to use. 
The only downside to this grill is that the original ash pan is missing.  I'm guessing it probably had clips on the ashpan.  I immediately though how cool it would look with one of those reproduction triangular trays that Craig has made. 
What I know and have read about these "Demo" grills is that these grills dated to around the late 1950's or very early 60's.  The vent on this grill does say "Wooddale".  They were stamped on the lid with "Demo" because Weber used to employ salesmen to go to various businesses, hardware stores in order to cook on, and promote how to use the kettle to potentials customers, or for potential businesses to sell their grills in.  I haven't read anywhere how many of these grills were made, but I think its probably not a very high number of them. 
Here is a link that Buckie found for me that briefly talks about these grills.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/demo-kettle/msg21513/#msg21513

So anyways, here are some pics.  The grill is already apart and in the midst of a mild rehab and major cleanup.

One decent wheel

One needed some work!

One stubborn stain.  Might need some advice on how to get this one out if none of my tricks work

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:45:29 PM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rare Weber "Demo" grill found
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
Great pick up Jeff.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »

I figured this MIGHT be why you were asking.....glad to help out...... ;D

Even tho it's Black (your favorite color, right?) that one's an historical keeper, my man !!!!!

Just think of how the "DEMO"s affected the spread of the use of kettles.......without THAT grill, we possibly might not be here talking about this............. 8)

PS: What were the grates like?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:58:23 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
Awesome piece of Weber history there, Jeff. Have you tried baking soda on the stain?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »
Great story... and, a great score!

Love the stencilled "Demo".  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
Cooooooool!  Sweet find
-Keith

Yuminator

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
That Demo kettle is a super cool find.  Thanks for sharing.

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »
Very cool.  What are the odds of finding that grill just by driving by?  Glad you could rescue it.
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
Jeff,
 Wow it pays off to have eagle eyes and it near hurts to ask if something is for sale. I found my 4th one in the back of a lot in my town in the very back of it.
Dan
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
Awesome find! That is the first time I saw one. Thank you for sharing.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
That's what it's all about ! Great story ...thank you co worker !  That  grill has a story like few others ....

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »
That is really cool Jeff, thanks for the write up and I can't wait to see it all rehabbed
Just goes to show that sometimes it pays to cold call.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »
epic score jeff  8) 8)

who would of thought jeff would have a blaik in his stable  :o :P
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
That thing looks like a war vet from WW2. A soldier on the front line of back yard BBQ legend. Think about how far that kettle has traveled and how many people have sampled a new style of cooking from its grate. Astounding!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 08:32:12 PM »
Wow, that's a great story, Jeff!  Congrats.
One of the charcoal people.