Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turd Question  (Read 2967 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Turd Question
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »
I'm trying them out for the first time this weekend and was wondering if you use thick cut or regular bacon and if it's a whole slice or half?

Also, anyone have any suggestions for the filling? I was going with cream cheese and little smokies and I was even thinking of topping it off with a sauce or glaze. I was thinking something sweet like pineapple jelly...

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Turd Question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
I like to use thin, regular(not maple)bacon and I let it sit out for 20-30 minutes before I wrap. The closer it gets to room temp the easier it is to make the bacon fit what you want wrapped.
Another neat trick is that after I core the jalapeņos I drop them in boiling water for two minutes, then drain. This ensures a nice tender jalapeņo and the cream cheese feeds into the warm pepper easily.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:40:16 AM »
I don't think I've ever made them the same way twice  ;D

I tend to use half pieces of thin cut bacon.  Mainly because you end up with more bacon per pound.......and when making turds, I'm usually making as many as possible.  For filling, I like horseradish or wasabe cheese mixed with some sort of flavored cream cheese.  I also like to mix some of my pork rub into that.  Then top with half a smokie cut longways.  I've never had any left over after a picnic.

That being said, I'd bet a sweet jelly on top would be an excellent addition.  I make my own Scotch Bonnet jelly every year from peppers in my garden.  I'll have to give that a shot next time.
-Keith

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
Mine are pretty simple. I combine one block of cream cheese, 1 small bag of shredded colby jack cheese (2cups), and 3-4 tablespoons of Texas Pete's hot sauce. Then I wrap with half a slice of bacon. If you half the jalapeņos and fill them level, the above mix will make about 30 halves.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
Thin cut. Whole slices. The ol'lady does the "end 'round" wrap job. No toothpicks needed and very controlled leakage.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »

Thin usually works better....if it seems you're not getting enough coverage just layer over a second time.............

This is how I wrap them:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/'turd-wrapping/msg32093/#msg32093

You can add stuff in, the halved smokies are nice, I used Aidell's chicken apple minis, halved....use your imagination on fillings......cream cheese works with a lot of different things.....

One of my personal favorites is a strip of chicken breast slightly smaller than the halved length of the pepper, rolled in a rub you like on top of just straight cream cheese..........

Pre-cut little strips crosswise out of chicken breast & season:

Just make extras.....most everybody likes them well enough to eat more than they think they will

Leftovers go great on a 'Turd Sammich......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
Great looking turds. This weekend I made simple ones with spanish smoked paprika in the cream cheese and small slice of extra sharp cheddar and in the last five or ten minutes I glazed with this a combination of apple and pineapple preserves.

Sorry I don't have pictures, but now that I have the mechanics down I'm going to run crazy with it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »

Great looking turds. This weekend I made simple ones with spanish smoked paprika in the cream cheese and small slice of extra sharp cheddar and in the last five or ten minutes I glazed with this a combination of apple and pineapple preserves.

Sorry I don't have pictures, but now that I have the mechanics down I'm going to run crazy with it.

Those sound pretty good.....I encourage you to keep experimenting......it's endless........... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"