Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Project "Venison"  (Read 4022 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Project "Venison"
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
My first WSM mini build.  I put this together to give to a good friend for his upcoming birthday.  He has built some cool stuff for me over the years and its time I repaid some of that good karma.

We both like to bow hunt, so I decided to use that as a theme.  The build itself is a pretty run of the mill WSM build.  I used an antler from a coos deer I harvested in the Chriicahua Mountains in Arizona for the vent handle.  That is some amazing country, and coos deer are super elusive, making for some incredible hunting.

For function, i sourced the parts to make my own 3/8 grommet for a temp probe.  On the inside shot you can see where it supports the top shelf (the support at the top of the picture).

Still need to add a temp gauge.  I ordered the gauge/bezel that comes on the 18.5 WSM, and am going to mount it to the right of the logo with the probe just below the top shelf.

I am sure most of you have done this project, but this was my first.  In researching Mini WSM conversions, I came across a few that had been posted on other forums, however I recognized the WKC members names.  Particularly impressive was Bman's build - that logo work is crazy good. 

Nice job Bman!  I wish I had your patience and attention to detail.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39966-My-*WEBER*-mini-build

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Project "Venison"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
Looks great. I need to build one someday; a small one's all I need but lack the $199 for the real deal.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
Nice Job, Winz. I recommend a small clay saucer for a heat diffuser and a small expanded metal charcoal ring and your buddy will be all set. The Browning logo is great!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »
Nice Job, Winz. I recommend a small clay saucer for a heat diffuser and a small expanded metal charcoal ring and your buddy will be all set. The Browning logo is great!

r.e. heat diffuser - I am thinking of going with the pie pan vs the clay.  I see advantages to clay as a heat sink, but like the lightness and portability of the pie pan. 

Still have some time to decide the best course.

Winz

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
My first bow was a Browning some 25 years ago , I like the theme and the cooker !

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
Awesome theme. Very nice cooker.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »
Nice job on the build WinZ!  The logo looks great. I love the antler integration into the vent tab. Do you use a water pan when smoking in these mini WSM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:32 AM »
Do you use a water pan when smoking in these mini WSM?

Crumbsnatcher - Like its larger WSM brothers, you need to have a heat diffuser or water pan in place to protect the meat from direct heat.  Given the pan on the Mini is so small, I doubt it would be very useful to put water in it for long/slow cooks as you would need to refill it often.  That said, I have never cooked on a Mini so I don't have any practical knowledge on the matter.

Winz

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
An unglazed clay saucer works good. It absorbs and holds heat. Same intent with a water pan.
Now even if you wrap that saucer in foil, grease still finds a way to get on it. They tend to absorb the grease. No amount of washing seems to get it out. A pan to catch the drippings would be better..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »

Yeah, bone stuff is a shoe-in for handles.....don't think we'll put Brian out of business any time soon though............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/out-west-we-call'em/msg27571/?topicseen#msg27571

Real extra nice job on the build, man !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
Buckie, your dog ate one of those bone handles right?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:03 AM »

No, the people's dawgs (plural) who that was done for ate the 1st one off......this is round two.....see link.............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
Very nice, good job!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......