Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: will these wheels fit a kettle?  (Read 7435 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: will these wheels fit a kettle?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »

Crumb, look at the one Marty put up.......basically the same, only long enough to be pressed all the way thru the hub.........like 2-1/2", or whatever is needed..............

You're just reducing the diameter of the hole the axle will fit into.......

May have to set it on something like a towel or cardboard & lay a small piece of wood against the bushing to tap it into the wheel without banging it up on the end......others who've done it can inform, as I've just done it with other types of machinery parts, not kettle wheels...........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
I like the ones from Tractor Supply, I just don't care for knobbies on my street kettle.

Dude, relax your chicken.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »
Have done this mod
Used a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe as a spacer :P
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
This is the part I have been using.  The inside diameter of the part is 3/8, which is the size of the axle on your kettle.  The part fits over the existing axle.  The outside diameter of the part is 1/2", which should be the hub size of many aftermarket wheels.  In essence, you are making the kettle axle bigger so the wheel will fit.  You can find this part in most good hardware stores.  They come in different lengths as well.  My only caution is that sometimes they can be a very tight fit.  Buckie is right on - you have to know some install tricks to avoid ruining your triangle.   PM me if you want more detail and I will walk you though it - I learned the hard way.

Winz

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:28:41 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
Oh, and one more thing.  The diameter of a weber kettle wheel is 6", while performers and 26ers are 8". 

If you buy a 10" wheel to put on your kettle, you are going to need a longer front leg to compensate, unless you are going for the "jacked up" look...

Winz

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
Thanks for the explanation WinZ!  The picture helps. I may consider doing the mod to my MT or SS performer.  I like the look of the red wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »
Thanks for the explanation WinZ!  The picture helps. I may consider doing the mod to my MT or SS performer.  I like the look of the red wheels.

Tou - excellent.  That red M/T of yours looks just like my "Donna" kettle and the red wheels would go nicely.  Just remember - 6" wheels for your M/T, 8" wheels if you are doing your Performer.  If/when you are going to do the conversion, let me know and I will hopefully save you some headaches in making the conversion work.

Winz

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »
If you need a longer front leg, just buy some 1" diameter aluminum tube or shower rod and cut to the desired/needed length. I did that with my black OTG that I slapped 8" wheels on..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 06:15:13 AM »
That red M/T of yours looks just like my "Donna" kettle and the red wheels would go nicely. 

Winz

I have to ask (I think I have an idea) but how did your red get the name "Donna" ?

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 06:29:02 AM »
That red M/T of yours looks just like my "Donna" kettle and the red wheels would go nicely. 

Winz

I have to ask (I think I have an idea) but how did your red get the name "Donna" ?

So glad you asked.  Named after my favorite redhead from the series "Suits".  I am not normally a lustful guy, but there is something about her...

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 07:38:45 AM »
Ah...... I was wrong. But she is also gorgeous! I was guessing Laura Prepon (Donna from That 70s show) back when she still had red hair. Here's my favorite....

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 08:34:29 AM »
... there is something about her...

I think I know what you mean.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »
 :-*

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »
ATS - I just spent 15 minutes reading your post.

Winz