Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Kettle- retro fit for outdoor kitchen  (Read 8432 times)

santhony5

• Happy Cooker
Weber Kettle- retro fit for outdoor kitchen
« on: May 09, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
Guys- I'm a brand new member and very excited to have found this forum. I'll try to keep my request for help as brief as possible. I'm having a pool and outdoor kitchen built- construction starts next week. I'm having a gas grill installed and have asked them to leave a "cutout" for my Weber kettle. I thought about taking my current One-Touch, removing the legs and just dropping it in the counter top. The counter top and stone for the kitchen is Oklahoma stacked rock.

The problem is this- the guy supplying the rock insisted that the grill not rest upon the stone due to the heat. (Apparently it will damage the stone and there is potential for the rock/stone to break and pop if it gets too hot from the kettle.) So the construction foreman suggested that they leave a cutout and I just put the Weber with legs still attached on a ledge they would build. I've looked all over the internet and haven't found a good solution for my desire to just take the legs off and "drop in" the kettle. They are going to leave the backside of space for the kettle open for ventilation and ash clean out. But I can't fathom the thought of keeping the legs attached to my kettle and trying to make that work- much less make it look good.

Looking at the Weber Performer Platinum- I got an idea and wanted to see what you guys thought. The sides of the kettle have the brackets that mount the kettle to the frame/stand. I could take one of those, remove the frame & use those brackets to support the kettle on an offset built into either side of the kettle in the cooktop. I just want to keep my kettle but want it to look amazing with the rest of the kitchen.

If anyone has any thoughts on this or can direct me to another forum/link for some ideas- I'd really appreciate it! If there are dangers or other precautions I haven't thought about or need to take into consideration when trying to integrate a kettle into an outdoor kitchen, please feel free to educate me! I'll take all the advice I can get. Thanks!

Steve

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Kettle- retro fit for outdoor kitchen
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
How about a "nook" wide enough to park a Performer in? That way you would still be able to take advantage of the gas assist and coal storage for a neat appearance. The Performer could still be rolled out for cleaning or if you just want to use it somewhere else. 
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
Welcome Steve. You are asking the right question, and plenty of members have learned the hard way what NOT to do. I'm sure they will jump in shortly. I think the Performer approach is a good one, and they are widely available. Keep your old one though, the longer you hang out here, the more kettles (and smokers, and accessories, and on and on)  you'll need anyway.  ;D

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
I'm a construction guy and a kettle guy.
Sounds like your guys are used to building things a familiar way and don't want to deviate.
We're all that way, I suppose.

Fitting a 22.5" kettle into masonry will require some tedious fitting...they are probably not excited about that prospect.

Utilizing a Performer bowl is a very good idea.
The suspension tabs could be "let into" (recessed) the countertop.
A "bezel" could be made up by a miscellaneous iron shop that would fit to the bowl, cover the tabs and hide the opening in the counter top.
The bezel could be of carbon steel or stainless steel depending on budget and desired look. Laser cutting gear makes quick work of this sort of thing these days.

If an architect is involved in the project you should talk to him about your ideas.
I think what you want is very doable.

Agree that a complete kettle standing in an alcove would look ghetto if I understand the desired look of the completed project.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:32:49 PM by DirectDrive »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Please post pics when done. Also, consider where to place the lid when cooking.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Please post pics when done. Also, consider where to place the lid when cooking.

Good point !
A built-in "Hogsy Bale" would be perfect.

Or an "Unknown BBQ Team" hinge could be utilized.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:14:57 PM by DirectDrive »

santhony5

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »
Guys- how refreshing to find a site/forum where you can post and get replies from people who are genuinely interested in helping you out! DirectDrive- you are spot on. While parking a Performer in the space would be the path of least resistance, it just does not fit with the look that we will have once it's completed. I'm having trouble trying to articulate exactly why/what I want it to look like- but when I post pics of the finished work I think it will make sense. A bezel would be a great way to finish out the area and fit for the kettle and I think as long as the suspension tabs weren't sitting right on the stonework (could be resting on fireproof brick or cinder block underneath) I'll be ok.

My buddies all rant and rave about the "green egg" and the builder suggested that as well- but I won't even consider it. They can have their eggs- I'll stick with my Weber- thank you very much! Thanks everyone- have a great weekend. I'll check back!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »
Guys- how refreshing to find a site/forum where you can post and get replies from people who are genuinely interested in helping you out! DirectDrive- you are spot on. While parking a Performer in the space would be the path of least resistance, it just does not fit with the look that we will have once it's completed. I'm having trouble trying to articulate exactly why/what I want it to look like- but when I post pics of the finished work I think it will make sense. A bezel would be a great way to finish out the area and fit for the kettle and I think as long as the suspension tabs weren't sitting right on the stonework (could be resting on fireproof brick or cinder block underneath) I'll be ok.

My buddies all rant and rave about the "green egg" and the builder suggested that as well- but I won't even consider it. They can have their eggs- I'll stick with my Weber- thank you very much! Thanks everyone- have a great weekend. I'll check back!

Yes, the Performer suspension tabs should be "let in" and taken out of play so the bezel can lay flat.
I really don't think there will be much heat transfer from those tabs.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
And show them how a Performer has an air gap between kettle and table. If they can make a circular cutout that includes one and has a provision for the mounting tabs, you're golden.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:26:03 AM »
Another option is to support it directly on the bowl. You can have them make a horizontal base or bracket that the kettle sits in and you can wingnut it secure so that you can easily remove it for cleaning.

I'm imagining this bracket to look like an "H" where the horizontal bar in the middle is circle or square the bowl will sit into. This would make you installation super clean from the top without the sight or height constraints of the tabs. Then cut the handle off ia OTS and put the cut portion where it isn't visible.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »
santhony5

Welcome to the WKC club. Make sure you have an air supply to the bottom of the kettle and also a place to set the lid down?
I like the performer kettle base.

Dan
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »
Unknown kettle hinge...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »
It's from the same outfit....Unknown BBQ Team

They offer a 18.5/22.5 WSM hinge and the 22.5 Kettle hinge.