Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib Racks?  (Read 2377 times)

blackdog1101

• Smokey Joe
Rib Racks?
« on: May 01, 2014, 06:06:15 PM »
How useful is this sort of device for cooking ribs?  I almost bought one today but decided to ask here first.  Looks like a good concept, but I don't see Manny comments about them when I do a search.  Thanks!

Performer OTS
Smokey Joe
Go Anywhere

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Rib Racks?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
They are useful if you want to do more than three racks in 22". They can also hold half racks if you are really trying to cram a bunch of ribs in a cooker or using a smaller one like an 18". I've never really noticed a difference in cooking on a grate vs rack. Some racks are better built than others, and some can be flipped for roasts or birds so ask around for which one would suit you best if you are ready to pull the trigger.

Alternatively you can crown ribs to fit more on your cooking surface but I prefer to keep mine flat.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:08:12 PM »
Make sure you spray the rack real good with some nonstick cooking spray before you start. If you don't, when it's time to remove the ribs, the rib meat will stick to the rack.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
Make sure you spray the rack real good with some nonstick cooking spray before you start. If you don't, when it's time to remove the ribs, the rib meat will stick to the rack.

Good advice. Another drawback is that they are a pain to clean. Some dudes put them in a dishwasher.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:01:17 AM »
Save your money, they are a pain to clean and you can use toothpicks or skewers and stand the ribs up and get better results/less fuss.

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/standing-st-louis-spare-ribs
 Here is a link to the kind of thing I am talking about. I have used this technique many times and it works great. Another problem with rib racks is that the ribs can stick to them .
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:43:42 AM »
I have a Weber one that I picked up during Target's seasonal clearance last year.  I used it a few times for ribs on my 26er.  It worked as advertised, but as was noted above, it is a complete bastard to clean.  Even when its "clean", I don't feel that I actually got it clean.  It is one of the reversable ones that doubles as a roast holder.  That aspect of it works awesome.  I use it all the time for hams, turkeys, chickens, and the occational roast.  I wouldn't buy one at full price, but I think I only payed like $6 for mine.  For that price, it was worth it.

This is a 13lb ham I did for Christmas day.  I like the way the rack gives just enough clearance for a drip pan to slide under it on the same grate.
-Keith