Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hinges for Kettles and WSM's  (Read 11803 times)

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
Re: Hinges for Kettles and WSM's
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 05:58:51 AM »
They have gotten a lot of play over at the bullet.
Looks like a good product.

Use a UniBit, hold 'er square and don't be afraid to drill.

I'm not afraid, I just don't want to crap up my kettle....I don't see why anyone would have to put this on a kettle, maybe a WSM.  It's not for me either way.  The lid bale on a kettle looks to be a much better system.

I just got my 1st kettle with the a lid bale. I haven't gotten used to using it yet. It's a bit awkward getting the lid in the bale right on the 1st try every time. I don't know if misplacing the lid in the bale will cause damage overtime, but these hinges would be a fix for that.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 06:19:35 AM »
They have gotten a lot of play over at the bullet.
Looks like a good product.

Use a UniBit, hold 'er square and don't be afraid to drill.

I'm not afraid, I just don't want to crap up my kettle....I don't see why anyone would have to put this on a kettle, maybe a WSM.  It's not for me either way.  The lid bale on a kettle looks to be a much better system.

I just got my 1st kettle with the a lid bale. I haven't gotten used to using it yet. It's a bit awkward getting the lid in the bale right on the 1st try every time. I don't know if misplacing the lid in the bale will cause damage overtime, but these hinges would be a fix for that.

I don't have a lid bale but was thinking of adding one...they do look safer and more user-friendly than that tiny inside hook.
Unkown tempts the buying of two units though, with free shipping for two or more.
Hmmmm....one WSM and one kettle ?

Reports at the Bullet give a resounding thumbs up for the WSM hinge.
Not enough feedback yet on the kettle hinge.

And once again, drilling has gone very smooth for me while installing therms and Mav ports.
I'll be posting a therm lead port mod on a WSM in the next day or two.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 07:50:52 AM »
I love the ingenuity. It also looks like a well built product so kudos to the creator.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
I have a hinge from the unknownbbq on my WSM 22.5. When I ordered it, I was leery of spending $40 + $7 shipping on a hinge. I have to say, it's a steal at twice the price! I can't speak to the kettle hinge but I really can't recommend it enough for the WSM.

Installation was quite easy, it comes with instructions. Drilled six holes, put a little high temp paint on the exposed metal with a small brush and then bolted it on with the provided hardware.  When you open it fully, there is a notch it slips into to keep it open. It requires two hands to close it, one hand on each handle, lift slightly to get it out of the notch and close, very simple operation. It has a pull pin so you can easily remove the lid from the smoker if the need arises.

I think my cover would fit with the hinge attached if I didn't also have handles added to the center section. As for the lid acting as a sail, I haven't had an issue with it. I could see it being a problem if you are cooking in extremely gusty weather. If that is the case you might want to pull the pin and not use the hinge on a day like that.

If you have a WSM, purchase one of these hinges, you will not regret it.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
I was thinking these would be great on a Performer at the back instead of the lid bale on the side, I'd like to see how high they open on a kettle , to see if the lid sits back further than what they do on the lid bale system as that can be restrictive at times
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
I was thinking these would be great on a Performer at the back instead of the lid bale on the side, I'd like to see how high they open on a kettle , to see if the lid sits back further than what they do on the lid bale system as that can be restrictive at times
This is the only pic that I could find that kinda shows the range...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
It doesn't look much different to the lid bale, it would want to go to 90deg to be a better option than the lid bale
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 06:19:37 PM »
It doesn't look much different to the lid bale, it would want to go to 90deg to be a better option than the lid bale

It would be interesting to see what their "stop" looks like and maybe it could be altered ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:21:37 PM by DirectDrive »

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 06:52:21 AM »
if it was mounted at the back of a performer . it would be hard to pick it up out of the notch that holds it open

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »
and they fit on a 26.75 lid also just mention grill size when ordering