Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Quick Question[s] - Chicken Indirect, "Smoke Roasting"  (Read 1326 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Quick Question[s] - Chicken Indirect, "Smoke Roasting"
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
Hello, Everyone:

Quick question about doing chicken indirect.  "Smoke Roasting" reference courtesy of Raichlen, as he refers to the technique.

I used my charcoal baskets, and a drip pan in between the baskets.  Chicken leg/thigh, using Mixon's poultry rub, two small chunks of apple wood, kettle temp held at around 360-370, using the dome thermometer.  One hour, give or take, internal temp adequate or over, depending on where I stuck the probe (ThermoPop).  JUICY!  But (there's always a but, not to be confused with butt) the skin, although tasty, was a bit rubbery.

Maybe I should have banked the coals on one side, still do the indirect routine, but then maybe the last ten minutes or so direct to crisp up the skin a little?  Aim for a higher kettle temp?

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Re: Quick Question[s] - Chicken Indirect, "Smoke Roasting"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »
If your a skin eater you must go direct to get that crispy love you so desire.

This is your goal:
WTB: Genesis Jr.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
Yup, gotta go direct for at least a little while to get the skin crispy. With dark meat, I usually get it up to an acceptable internal temp and then go direct until the skin looks crispy. With white meat, I will go with the direct a little earlier due it getting overcooked (dried out) easier
-Keith

Aspiring Pitmaster

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »
I've been working on wings the last few weeks.  My best result so far came when I seasoned & dried the wings over night on a wire rack in the fridge.  I then banked the coals on one side, and cooked them at 400F indirect on GrillGrates.  I took the temp up to around 430F before adding the wings which made it easier to quickly get back up to 400F after adding them.  I flipped the wings at 20 minutes and pulled them at 45 minutes.  The skin was very crisp & was a beautiful golden brown. By far the best wings I've ever done.

I tried it again the other night after only drying the wings for around 5 hours and adding some smoke wood, but I didn't get the same results.  I'm trying again tomorrow, going back to an overnight drying period and no smoke wood.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
Don't be afraid to take the temp a little higher.  I measure temp at grate level with a Maverick ET-732...dome temp is always 15-20 degrees higher.  I also reverse sear to crisp up the skin even though most of my family doesn't even eat the skin.  I also brine my chicken and have yet to have any dry out since switching to the kettle.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere