Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Types for Smoking?  (Read 2390 times)

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
Wood Types for Smoking?
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »
I have a noob question about smoking.

I see everyone using the popular smoking woods such as apple, mesquite, hickory, pecan... The stuff offered in your store's BBQ section...

If I used other wood types I have lying around, such as poplar and apricot, or a bundle of campground wood we brought home unused (pine?)... What should I expect? Would the meat be ruined, as in unpleasant flavor imparted? Has anyone here tried "other" woods?

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Wood Types for Smoking?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:09:09 AM »
Read this for a good idea of what works and what doesn't. At the bottom of this pdf, the author touches on woods to avoid.. Hope this helps ya out.
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 02:42:35 AM »
If it is a nut or a fruit tree you should be fine, stay away from evergreens.

The file that Mirkwood posted is very good.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:08:41 AM »
Read this for a good idea of what works and what doesn't. At the bottom of this pdf, the author touches on woods to avoid.. Hope this helps ya out.
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf

Thanks for that!

I should save the wood that I just cut off a tree in our backyard. Actually, its two trees that are tangled together. One is some type of yellow plum and the other is a mulberry tree. Not sure which I cut but sounds like I should be able to use both.

How long should you wait before you use the wood? I'm guessing the wood shouldn't be 'green' and should dry out first.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »
Thanks for the list. I did some research on the internet and found a lot of recommendation against using poplar, but it was all speculation. Others say it should be fine. So I'll just do a little chicken smoking experiment for a taste test.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
Tim, I would season (dry) any wood you plan on using for smoking just like you would for heating wood.
AnakiMana, you might try smoking small boneless chicken (eggs) as it might be less expensive, I just smoked a dozen yesterday using pecan.. Yum.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:32:01 PM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Mulberry is good. Used some tonight on some turkey legs.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
... So I'll just do a little chicken smoking experiment for a taste test.
Why not expand that a little? Do a couple chicken legs, a piece or two of salmon and/or tilapia. A couple beef patties and some kind of pork. (I use pork steaks or country ribs because they're cheap.) Use no seasoning on the meats so you can see what the smoke contribution alone is. I've done that with a variety of smoking woods to see how they taste. IMO well worth the effort. In fact, that was the original motivation for making a mini-WSM (SJ + tamale pot + SS bowl + extra grate.)
kettles, smokers...

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
I like fruit wood.

My bud pruned his apple trees and I got a lot of wood from him. I cut down a walnut tree as well, not bad.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
... So I'll just do a little chicken smoking experiment for a taste test.
Why not expand that a little? Do a couple chicken legs, a piece or two of salmon and/or tilapia. A couple beef patties and some kind of pork. (I use pork steaks or country ribs because they're cheap.) Use no seasoning on the meats so you can see what the smoke contribution alone is. I've done that with a variety of smoking woods to see how they taste. IMO well worth the effort. In fact, that was the original motivation for making a mini-WSM (SJ + tamale pot + SS bowl + extra grate.)

I'll do that... I have some pork chops and frozen chicken breastfeeding handy. I'll update this after I've had a chance to run my taste tests.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle