Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Quality of kettle build: new models vs. vintage models?  (Read 3975 times)

Andy

• Smokey Joe
Quality of kettle build: new models vs. vintage models?
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:31:29 AM »
With summer and the so-called 'official' grilling season coming, I am sure there are a lot of new people to the forum (like me) as well as lurkers who have wondered about the following question.

I ask this question sincerely, and with no malicious intent whatsoever. You guys have a wealth of experience, and I'd love to hear you opinions.

I have read some online reviews where people who have owned a number of Weber kettles over the years complaining the current models aren't made nearly as well as their grills of yesterday: much skinnier tubing on the legs, poorer build quality with some complaining of lids that are out of round and don't seat properly, poorer quality on the porcelain finish, scratches in the porcelain right out of the box, etc., etc.

I love Weber grills from older models to new, I'd just like to hear your experienced opinions on this subject.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:33:37 AM by Andy »

GnarBQ

Re: Quality of kettle build: new models vs. vintage models?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »
the vent system is the deal breaker for me. IMO The 3 daisy wheel vents make for a far superior cooker.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:59:09 AM »
Some of the newer stuff seems of less quality. Legs don't fit as nice as the older kettles.
The metal does seem a bit cheaper on the legs. Bowls and lids seem the same in quality, but sometime you encounter an out of round grill no matter the age.
I haven't bought a new grill in many years, so I can't say what the quality is like.
You see some reports on them not being perfect. But if you consider that we expect brand new stuff to be perfect every time, you ten tohear about it when its not.
Weber's quality is excellent in comparison to other products on the market. Their customer serive is one of, if not the best i have ever dealt with.
It's just a great product!   8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »

Not sure about " poorer build quality", but some of the parts are of a little thinner metal & they're making many, many more of them than way back when, which can lead to a little lower quality control.......also, I believe (could be incorrect about this) that some are assembled in other countries now..........

All-in-all, still a way better quality than most anything around, per dollar of cost..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
I assembled a new AT code 26er about an hour ago ;D The build quality was great, everything fits together perfectly. I had read about the heavier kettle being a bit wobbly on the legs but I don't find it any worse than the 22.5s I own. I should be cooking on it for years to come.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
This isn't quite clear cut. Some people like the features and characteristics of older kettles, some like the more modern. Weber's factory is pretty state of the art. It allows them to make kettles efficiently with more consistent quality. For example, the paint coating is much thinner, but more even. Is that better than the thicker coat with orange peel? The handles, vents, and vent holes are also perfectly centered. If you look at older kettles, there is a variability in alignment of stuff. If you have OCD, this will drive you nuts but the end product is the same, imo. Whether these things make a kettle better or not is your call, but it definitely saves $$$ for the company. Kettle prices in the 60's and 70's were also way higher when adjusted for inflation. I agree with buckie when he says:

All-in-all, still a way better quality than most anything around, per dollar of cost..............
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »
when i compared my 2010 performer lid with my mid 60s baby blue, the thickness of porcelain and metal were incredibly close

i don't think the build quality is drastically lower. Some things have changed in ways that I don't feel confident about, namely the bold on handles.

I don't know how i feel about the new style of porcelain finish. i'll know when I buy a new crimson.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
I own a few kettles that were built within the last five years. I also own a few kettles that were built between 20 and 30 years ago.
There are some SLIGHT differences, but they are very slight. Some advantages go to the older models, some to the newer. All are very high quality products!
You will have to try out a few kettles to find out just which characteristics and quirks make one or another your favorite!

And so starts the Weberitis... ;D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Andy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
Thanks guys for all the replies to this, past and future!
There is no substitute for experience, and you have all convinced me it's still a high-quality product.
I might consider buying a OTG this summer, and I value your opinions.
But first, I'm going to wait a while, to see if I can perhaps score a Westerner off CL for a hundred $ or so! Ha-ha-ha!  ;D ::)  :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:17:44 PM by Andy »

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
Thanks for asking this. It's an interesting subject.

I bought a new Performer Platinum last year and it was perfect, except for the aluminum ring that the ash pan mounts to. It needed to be bent a bit to fit it on. Looking back, it wasn't a big deal, but I had zero experience with these things and wasn't sure if I was making a mistake. I remember being surprised that the famous Weber company had such a problem after reading universal praises online.

I picked up a 1979 22.5" kettle on Craigslist and because of the 3 vent wheels on the bottom, I'm in love with that scarred and faded rescue. I'm starting to feel bad for my Performer now!

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:41:45 AM by AnakiMana »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »
I prefer daisy wheelers, though I do own and use my One Touch cookers, I prefer the 3 wheelers for temp control. I bought a Weber WSM shovel to clean out my daisy kettles. Love it! I love the "orange peel" finish on kettles of yore regardless of color. Wood vs. Plastic handles: Wood for the win. Metal handles (bowl and lid) are my favorite. It takes two seconds to slip on an oven mitt or an ove glove. Wheels: metal are my favorite, but mainly any wheel style made before 1976. Now having said all this, it doesn't rule out my desire for an SS Performer in either red or blue so I'm not entirely stuck in the 60s, 70s, & 80s.  :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:47:17 PM by Craig »

Andy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 07:17:57 AM »
Pardon my ignorance guys, but I was just looking at the Age Guide here on the WKC.
What year did they switch from the wooden handles to plastic?
And when were the 3 vent wheels on the bottom of the kettles discontinued?