Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Wishing Well?  (Read 6110 times)

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
Weber Wishing Well?
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
I saw on their site when I first got into Webers their history of products. They say in their caption "a grill that we wish we had never made".  All I could think was "Are you KIDDING ME? That's awesome!" and then "hmm, I should try to make a reproduction".

So, what's the story of the Wishing Well? Was it only sold in 1966? How many were made? Was it actually sold? And why the hell are they embarrassed to have created it?

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Wishing Well?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:42:24 AM »
I personally have never seen one of these...or even just a photo other than the stock ones provided by Weber Just the same as the Barrel Bar-B-Q either.  I wonder if because they were mostly made of wood, and that wood was always in contact with that ground, the most of them have since deteriorated or rotted away.  I can't imagine many of them were made either.  I'd have to guess there weren't multiple years of production either.
Has anybody else every seen a Wishing Well or Barrel Bar-B-Q?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:48:57 AM »

Just a guess, but maybe the 'embarrassment' came from realizing that there were a ton of extra parts to make & keep in stock, things like a Sequoia are much more straightforward........... :-[
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:53:33 AM »
I would imagine the kitschy nature of raising the lid by turning the wishing well's handle several times probably got old, fast.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »
I would imagine the kitschy nature of raising the lid by turning the wishing well's handle several times probably got old, fast.

Hence the saying: "If you're crankin', you're not cookin'"

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:20 AM »

I couldn't agree more with you after thinking about that.  And what Buckie said too about all the extra parts involved.
I think it goes to show that a simple and effective design as the basic kettle is really just perfect.  It's longevity speaks for itself!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Weber Wishing Well?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:43 AM »
This isn't the wishing well I think, but this pic is from a vintage bbq recipe book. Appears the "barrel bbq" concept was around during that time. This is very similar in design to the wishing well. You would have the ability to suspend the food over the fire with this setup.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:34:40 AM by Bbqmiller »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:31:18 AM »
I agree that the Wishing Well & Barrel BQ may not have been the most practical of designs, but they sure were creative, and my guess is that if/when one of them surfaces (assuming it is in decent condition) there will be a frenzy like when the first Ranger appeared a few months back.

I've driven by a few homes in our area that have wishing wells in their front yards, and I've always taken a little closer look, just wondering if they could've housed a bbq at some point in the past. I'm sure there aren't many - probably none in my area - but it would be cool to see one.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »
My guess is if multiple were made, then at least 1 had to be George's and maybe a handful more in the Chicago area.  Or i could be wrong and the few made were sent to Cali or even Des Moines for all we know.  If I did have one, I would probably disconnect the crank to the lid. We also need to consider the possibility that it was a prototype that Weber threw into thr timeline for bleeps and giggles. Id give a years pay to go back and have a look around George Stephen's backyard and just soak in all the vintage stock, prototypes and experimental grills. You know he had to be hoarding and rotating out multiple kettles before anyone else ever thought of it. I keep dreaming that somewhere out there is s specially made avocado green 26"er that was a one off similar to Jeffs blue 26.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:41 AM »
There is a Barrel Bar-B-Q in metro Atlanta. :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
Do you have one Stephen?  If not, you should try and go out to get pics of that one where ever its at!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 07:27:18 AM »
No, not mine.  Another WKC member and I know about it.  We would like to track it down... :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:47:02 AM »
No, not mine.  Another WKC member and I know about it.  We would like to track it down... :)

Get photos!!!

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:54:03 PM »
There is a Barrel Bar-B-Q in metro Atlanta. :)

tell RR that i will trade it for the thrifty if he can get it :o massive lol
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
Pics!!!! Let's see it.. Maybe the owner could share some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk