Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wing practice  (Read 1369 times)

Aspiring Pitmaster

• Smokey Joe
Wing practice
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
With a son in college, I'm trying to up my game with chicken. Tonight, with 12 wings, I did 4 un-sauced, 4 with Orange Marmalade Sriracha (OMS) sauce (with a little more Sriracha than my first try), and 4 with a pepper jelly sauce (that is really probably more intended for ribs, I just wanted to experiment with pepper jelly). I also tried a new recipe for German potato salad, and did an easy, tried-&-true side of roasted broccoli.

The wings after drying overnight in the fridge, seasoned with salt, pepper, and Weber Kickin Chicken. I probably prefer Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom or Tony Cachere's.

Cooked at 360 indirect for 42 minutes, before saucing. The skin was crisp but wasn't quite as golden brown as I was hoping for. I probably could have gone a few more minutes before saucing. At those heats and with so much sugar in the sauces, I didn't want to burn the sugars, so I basically basted the wings, closed the lid for 1 minute, and took the wings off.

Plated with roasted broccoli, German potato salad, and two wings each of OMS, dry, and pepper jelly glaze.

The OMS version was by far my favorite. In my first attempt at the OMS sauce long ago, I used equal parts honey, brown sugar, and Sriracha as called for in the original recipe. It didn't have enough heat for my taste, so this time I tried a ratio of 1:1:2 of honey, brown sugar, and Sriracha, and the heat was just about perfect. You can find the HIGHLY recommended OMS sauce here:  http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?5949-Orange-Marmalade-Sriracha-Wings.  The pepper jelly glaze was 1 part pepper jelly, 1 part apple juice, and 1 part apple cider vinegar. I thought I might want to try this as a glaze on ribs next weekend, so I just wanted to tinker with it tonight, using wings as a cheap carrier. It lacked much kick as I warmed it, so I added 1 ts of Sriracha to add a little more spice to it. It may do ok for ribs, but it added pretty much nothing to the wings.

I had never tried the German potato salad before. It was basically roasted Yukon potatoes & onion, mixed with bacon bits, parsley, and a liquid comprised of 1/4 cup white vinegar, 3 TBS sugar, and 2 TBS water. It was good, but I think I prefer just plain roasted potatoes more, although I might try it again with everything except the liquid.

Roasted broccoli has become one of my favorite sides, especially now that most groceries stores sell broccoli crowns so that you can get two servings for around $0.40. It is SO easy and still tastes pretty good: break them up, pour a little EVOO over them, add salt and pepper, and bake for around 15 minutes at 400. You can do other things to take them up a notch, like lime zest, lime juice, and shredded parmesan, but they are good without the extras. Also, for a dipping sauce, combine a couple of ts of sour cream, a dash of lemon juice, and a little Tony Cachere's seasoning. Very easy, but good.

BBQmedic

• WKC Brave
Re: Wing practice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »
I definitely want to try that OMS recipe, thanks for the link!
I agree with you on broccoli for a side, I've tossed the broccoli in butter and seasoning salt and it's so good on the grill!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »

Nice lookin' cookup !!!!

Thanks for the rundown on broccoli also.....need to expand the horixons with more items like that.....it usually gets steamed in the house, but no reason the stuff can't grill along w/ eveything else !!!!

Larry was here for a time also, until he went on a diet & started juicing.....

See Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/orange-marmalade-sriracha-wings/

One of the most viewed recipes here............... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Aspiring Pitmaster

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:35 PM »
Medic, I'm thinking your chicken lollipops and Larry's OMS sauce are a match made in grilling heaven.  I'm going to give that a test run before this weekend.  I'm supposed to bring ribs to a friend's crawfish boil, and he does VERY good crawfish.  I'd love to steal (or share) his thunder this time with OMS chicken lollipops.  I'll post pics of the experiment. 

Thanks Buckie,  I'm not surprised that Larry's OMS wing recipe is as popular here as elsewhere.  I try a LOT of recipes once or twice but very few make it to my regular rotation, and OMS wings are definitely in my regular rotation.  Yeah, I HATED it when the best dessert cook at our office went on a diet.  Now that Larry's on a diet, hopefully we'll find some other creative geniuses to add to our lists of repeat recipes.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:27:22 AM »

Oh, there's some ringers for recipes here............check out Prof. from Italy, One Touch Platinum's baking skills. Hank B.'s great fixups, some of the various pizza cooks, BBQ Miller comes to mind for numerous interesting items.......the great thing is, some of the very newest folks here, who have just started with Weber or just come back to charcoal cooking will do great cooks, too.............. 8)

Duke & Brian (Zavod44) & Craig & others will look back at the old catalogues & re-create cooks from those.....

The very best thing, I think personally, is that any one person here can hit a total home run cook at any time, using combinations of elements unique to them or their history.....................seen it happen A LOT !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BBQmedic

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk