Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle Methods  (Read 8303 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Ranch Kettle Methods
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »
I don't have an RK and I am not looking for one but this is a great thread.

Exactly my thought.  Thanks for the info guys.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ranch Kettle Methods
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »

For both of the last two posters:

I just saw Joel got some extra big sized baskets & if other decent sized containers are available, could a person start with one containment burning, then as that ended, start off another with a few lit charcoals?

It seems the area underneath might be big enough to put together duplicate sets & just fire one set after another instead of continually adding coals to the one.......

PS: this is for longer cooks........

Adding to the thread on Ranch Methods:  My first RK cook was a low and slow for 15 hours to smoke a couple of pork butts (and some drips, and some turds....).   

My setup was the following.  Large charcoal basket - 24" wide by 12" deep made from expanded metal:

Added wood chunks and fired the whole thing off by pouring 15 lit coals on top of the basket.  I highly suggest putting a spare firebrick under the center point of the charcoal grate - it will prevent sagging and save the grate:

I got 11 hours of a constant 250 degrees from that setup.  More than half of the grill space was available for meat.  I needed 4 more hours, so I lifted the cooking grate and dumped 1/2 a basket of new charcoal on the last few lit ones.  The RK came right back up to temp and burned at 250 for the rest of the cook.  My vent positions were: 2 bottom ones closed, 1 bottom vent (under the charcoal basked at 1/4 open, top vent at 3/4 open.  I like this method over the snake as no coals are against the side of the kettle (prevents crazing), it is very simple to set up, and very easy to replenish.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.