Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to drip beans.  (Read 6348 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
New to drip beans.
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
I've never tried them and thought I would give it a shot. What does everyone put in them? I'm going for two types of canned beans, two tins of diced tomatoes, a diced onion, some Jalapeños and red chillies and maybe a sweet pepper. Does that sound like what I should be aiming for?

And what about actually cooking them? I'm planning on cooking a Boston Butt over about 18 hours in the kettle using the snake. Do I put them in from the start and let them go the whole time, or start them later? If I start later, wouldn't I miss out on all the drippings?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy
If it breathes, we can cook it!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: New to drip beans.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
1Buckie is the drip bean MAN.
If he doesn't pop in here soon just start reading through some of his cooks, he usually covers that subject well.;)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
Thanks JC. I'll do a bit of searching at home on the PC.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »
i did drip beans ONCE

i could feel my arteries blocking as i shoveled each of the 6 spoonfuls i had in
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
i did drip beans ONCE

i could feel my arteries blocking as i shoveled each of the 6 spoonfuls i had in

Soooo...... Not recommended?

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »
taste was absolutely sensational

for my well being well that's a totally different story
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »
Cool.

KevinT

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
Hi All,

Thi is my version of a drip bean recipe I found somewhere on the web....

Habanero BBQ baked beans

Ingredients
3 large cans of baked beans --any brand
5 strips bacon- any flavor
2-3 tablespoons of bacon fat
½ medium sized green pepper
½ medium sized red pepper
1 cup BBQ sauce- I use ½ cup Sweet Baby Rays and ½ cup Garland Jacks Sweet Six Hickory.
¾ cup brown sugar
2 habanero peppers.
OPTIONAL—1 cup previously smoked pulled pork ---chopped fine. More bacon is another option.

THE COOK:
Cook bacon in skillet. Tear bacon into small pieces. Retain grease.
Chop red and green peppers into small pieces. 
Remove stem from Habaneros.  Hand chop fine using seeds and all !
Add beans to a large aluminum foil pan.  Add all other ingredients.  Stir well. Cover with foil. Cook in oven for about 3 or so hours at 275 or so. Just enough to make sure the green & red peppers are not hard. Remove from oven and place under pork shoulder or ribs in smoker for 2-3 hours. This allows beans to catch pork drippings and get a little smoke flavor.  Don’t go over 2-3 hours or else I think they get a little too smokey.  I know others leave them in longer. YMMV.  I usually add a little salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder to taste.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »
taste was absolutely sensational

for my well being well that's a totally different story

Got a colesterol problem?

Drive it out with bacon !!!!!

Kevin's looks pretty dang good.....

Here's a PM reply I sent to Terry Landgraftj awhile back......

Quote from: landgraftj on October 29, 2013, 07:27:27 PM
Buckie can you fwd me your drip pan beans recipe? Can't seem to find the post about how you make them with the pulled pork. Thanks buddy!

Terry, this is kind of a standard one.............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26020/#msg26020

Just add in some leftover p. pork & remember that the pork will drip a LOT.......leave room for juice, mix in part way thru the cooking & ladle some of it out at the end so they aren't too soupy.......

This one shows just how much they drip.......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-pop's-memorial-shindig/msg7814/#msg7814

With Bush's beans, I leave in the majority of the can sauce, if just pintos & blacks, I do at least a partial rinse to lose some of the excess liquid.......Bush's I'll put up with the extra, as their sauce is real good.........

You can use one of their flavored beans "Grillin' Beans" type things too......great results there !!!!!

I always put in granulated garlic and a bunch of honey.......it's a good mix, even though it sounds strange when you 1st think about it.........

And, you can also use bacon, pre-cooked, small diced ham, things of that nature......I've found that pork always seems to go better with the sweeter elements of the honey & sweeter flavor peppers.....you can use green bells if you like them a lot.......they give me heartburn, so red / orange / yellow it is.................

Have Fun w/ It !!!!

~~~> Ken

I usually put thm in for about the middle 4~5 hours of the cook; they will get way too mushy running the whole time.............plenty of drip, you'll probably still need to ladle out some juice.....

Standard is: Honey, granulated garlic powder, beans, some added leftover pork meat of some type, diced onion & diced red bell (sweet) pepper......you can heat it up with peppers or powders as you like.......personally, I think the honey is essential
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
Plenty to think about for my next cook. Thanks Buck.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
Those recipes Ken gave me rocked! Probably some of the best beans I've ever had.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.