Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs on the Roti and WSM  (Read 1723 times)

gunner

• WKC Brave
Ribs on the Roti and WSM
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »
My wife got me a Roti Basket for Christmas and I wanted to break it in this week. I was thinking chicken wings but I was cooking 2 racks of ribs today for my mother in law and wife and had a thought to try one rack in the roti and one rack on the WSM to see if there was any difference? My brother also bought me some olive wood chunks for Christmas so I wanted to try that out too.

I set up the red with the roti basket

On this rack I only seasoned with salt and pepper and setup the snake method with olive wood chunks.

On this WSM rack of ribs I seasoned with a basic rub of salt, pepper, turbinado sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, and chili powder. I used pecan and peach chunks for smoke.

Both WSM and the red well on their way!

A quick family shot of my winter setup and the WSM and red chugging along quite nice. It was a pretty mild winter day compared to what we have had so far this year in the Chicagoland area.

Rack-O-Ribs about to come of the WSM after about 4 hours at 250 degrees

Rack-O-Ribs about to come off the red after about 4 hours at 250 degrees

Homemade mac and cheese on the genesis gasser about to come off

All plated up and ready to eat! All of us agreed that the Roti ribs with salt and pepper were our favorite! I was really surprised..I have never done just salt and pepper on ribs before. On both racks of ribs I brushed on some bullseye BBQ sauce and finished them on the gasser. Both racks were cooked at pretty much the same temp and time but the roti ribs were more tender. I also REALLY liked the olive wood. It is a pretty mild wood but had a great flavor. I will for sure do ribs on the roti again..they were amazing!

Thanks for looking folks and Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 05:24:14 PM by gunner »

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Ribs on the Roti and WSM
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Great work Gunner! Roti ribs are on my list of methods to try. One of those ferris wheel rib racks might not be a bad idea to add to the arsenal now. ;)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Hey Gunner, did you have water in the pan of the WSM or did you just foil it?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:48:47 AM »
Hey Gunner, did you have water in the pan of the WSM or did you just foil it?

Hey Jeff,

I never use water in the pan. I actually have a clay saucer wrapped in tin foil in the water pan to act as a heat sink.