Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Boston Butt  (Read 2346 times)

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
First Boston Butt
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »
After reading and asking a lot of question here and on other sites I decided to give it a go.

I had my butcher  cut me a fresh pork shoulder.

Since I didn't have a marinate injector I brined it for a few hours sticking a small skewer in places to get some brine to penetrate.

Dry rubbed and left it for an hour.

Set up my snake and lit it but it seems its too hot, attempted to get it to hold 250f added the butt at 10pm - 5min later its starts to rain hard! At 11pm the temps kept creeping up to 300f even in the rain! Top and bottom vent hardly open

I know now that I should have poured some water in the tray to keep temps down, anyway its all looking good, but I noticed internal temps are creeping up faster than expected, so I repositioned the probe thinking that its too shallow.
Went to bed at about 12  - I woke at 4.15am and the maverick had lost connection. I raced outside and saw the internal was now 209f and grill was 310f. So after 6 hrs this 4kg butt was ready! Way faster than I was hoping -  I inserted the probe in a few areas and I went in like butter, its was difficult to handle as the butt wanted to fall apart! I triple foiled and wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler for 6hrs. It went into the cooler at 209f and after 6 hrs temps dropped to 145f

I went back to bed for a few hours.
At 10am I was starving so I un-wrapped it the smell was fantastic. It was perfect! Easy to pull and made the best pork and coleslaw buns ever!

So there you go - How to cook a 4kg butt in 6hrs
thanks for looking
Dan

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: First Boston Butt
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »
Nice work Dan.

How did the Weber expo go? I didn't get a chance to get down there,  but I did cook some wicked turrds!

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »
Nice work Dan.

How did the Weber expo go? I didn't get a chance to get down there,  but I did cook some wicked turrds!

cheers
Joe - you have to tell me again what is in those turds - I wanna make them
The Weber expo was a bit slow, the rain didn't help. The Weber cooks had an awesome lamb roast going. Heres a clip I shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQAdQUfMl1Y

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:07:05 AM »
I'm sure most on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but basically a Turd is a Jalapeno Chilli that has been deveined and deseeded and then stuffed with a cream cheese mix, topped with a sausage and wrapped in bacon. Then smoked slow and indirect for about an hour.

The problem I had was sourcing the sausages that our Yanky brethren calk smokies. Initially I made them with mini franks or hotdogs. But this batch I made with Lebbo sausages. They worked a treat and tasted better than the franks.

They were still too big but what I did was twist the sausages in half and made two out of one. These pictures will explain it I think.

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
NICE, anything special in the cream cheese?

Joe My butcher has made me up some chipolatas in the past, but I need to get a few kilos, they are about 5-6cm long and sound perfect for the job. Our family get them for kids parties etc we get pork. We can get them made with, pork, beef, lamb etc

What meat are the American smokies?

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
I've used this southern phrase before to indicate a job well done. it isn't used slightly........

ya done good
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
It had a mix of ceyanne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, some honey and a bit of shredded cheddar. I thought this mix was better than the last, but some found too spicy. So maybe not as much ceyanne next time.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »
Nice work! Pork butts are one of my favorite cooks!