Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking/grilling a steak  (Read 3973 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Smoking/grilling a steak
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »
I have gotten into the habit of smoking a steak with plum wood either before I sear it or directly after I sear it. This one pictured I smoked for about 20 minutes in my GA on a wire 1/2 grate which was indirect. And then seared it for a minute either side on the CI grate on the other half directly over the coals.

Although the overall result is acceptable, I think the smoking process is cooking the steak a lot more than I want it to. I prefer them to be a bit on the rarer side.

But my dilemma is that if I reduce the heat for thw smoking, the grate won't be hot enough when I want to sear it. It just wont work!

Any ideas fron those that arw more experienced than me? (Which probably means everyone on this site.) :D

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:43:16 PM by Jocool »
If it breathes, we can cook it!

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Re: Smoking/grilling a steak
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »
Best idea I can come up with is: let BBQ be BBQ, and let grilling be grilling, and don't try to mix the two. Forget smoking your steak or if you must grill it over wood chunks instead of charcoal.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
If you like the smoke flavor can you start up the wood and place one chunk into the big kettle? This should be close to a cold smoke since it won't heat up much. Then place the chimney on your GA, start up some charcoal and then when that's done toss it into the 22 for searing?

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »
just grill as normal, with the wood directly in the hot coals.

It'll still smoke and provide flavor.

Just keep the lid closed, you don't want open flame.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:57:33 AM »
just grill as normal, with the wood directly in the hot coals.

It'll still smoke and provide flavor.

Just keep the lid closed, you don't want open flame.

QFMFT

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:11:38 AM »
I do mine direct to sear for about 1 min on each side, then place as far from the charcoal as possible until it reaches the right IT (about 135F for me). I put the lid on for about 10min to let the CI grates heat up, then put the wood on and wait till it starts smoking before placing the steak on.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Smoking/grilling a steak
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 04:31:45 AM »
I do mine direct to sear for about 1 min on each side, then place as far from the charcoal as possible until it reaches the right IT (about 135F for me). I put the lid on for about 10min to let the CI grates heat up, then put the wood on and wait till it starts smoking before placing the steak on.

Ken

I do the same as Ken. Fire up some lump and get it searing hot. Steaks come off like this.

Nice and juicy after a rest

Key to steaks is a good sear to lock in juices. I do throw on a chunk of oak, and salt/pepper only for seasoning.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:29:59 AM »
Nice looking steaks.

Searing doesn't lock in juices though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: Smoking/grilling a steak
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:32:28 AM »
Nice looking steaks.

Searing doesn't lock in juices though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It creates a crust of Caramelized goodness. :D

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 05:57:53 AM »
Have you thought about trying to cold smoke the steak for an hour before putting it on the grill.  That way the heat isn't high enough to start cooking the meat.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
For reverse searing in the GA, try burning down a chunk of the wood you want to smoke with to coals and use that as your heat source supplemented by actual charcoal.  That way you get the nice smokey flavor through it.

Also don't hesitate to pull your steak off the grill at 115-120degrees internal temperature and then get the GA up hot enough so you can do a proper sear and finish up at rare-medium rare the way you want it.  There is no rule that says you have to keep meat on the grill for 10-15mins while you wait for your GA to come up to searing temperatures.

Here is a NY Strip i did the reverse sear on.

First slice through the middle.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *