Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie turkey  (Read 6815 times)

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Rotisserie turkey
« on: November 22, 2023, 06:06:45 AM »
Can someone please find the thread that shows the turkey on the spinner? I can't seem to locate it.Thanks.

Cellar2ful

Re: Rotisserie turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 07:38:34 AM »
I tagged you on the rotisserie turkey thread @SMOKE FREAK

Below is a photo of my 1980's Weber kettle owners manual.  It has the recommended amounts of briquettes per Weber to be used on each side when cooking indirect.  It has a break down for SJ, 18", 22" and 26".   The 22" is highlighted as it was the only size I owned back then.   

I have always just followed this guide and start with 50 briquettes (25 per side) when cooking indirect or using the rotisserie.  I then add 8 briquettes per hour to each side.  I run my lid and bowl vents wide open when using the rotisserie.  There is so much air gap when using a rotisserie, I don't believe adjusting the vents make much difference.  My lid therm usually runs at 350-375 degrees.

In this same owners manual, Weber says to figure 11 minutes per pound cooking a turkey.  A 16 lb bird should take around 175 minutes (roughly 3 hours).

The other trick I use is to set my charcoal baskets more to one side of the kettle and put the bird on with the legs facing the charcoal. This moves the breast meat further from the coals.  The dark meat (legs and thighs) require a higher temp (175-190 degrees) to be done and can tolerate being closer to the heat.  The turkey should be pulled when the breast meat reaches 157 degrees.  These are the recommended temps from the Thermapen website.  After removing the bird from kettle, let it rest at least 30 minutes before carving.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 09:23:00 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rotisserie turkey
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 09:34:25 AM »
Thanks for the quick response. That's exactly what I was looking for.