Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are my temps too low? Ribs on a Weber Kettle with slow’n’sear  (Read 521 times)

dpilot83

• Smokey Joe
Re: Are my temps too low? Ribs on a Weber Kettle with slow’n’sear
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 10:34:16 PM »
A slow and sear full of wood and charcoal should be plenty for one rack of ribs. Probably even in the wintertime.
It has been a long time since I  have used KBB
I would recommend using Weber charcoal but it isn't available anymore[emoji3064]
I have been using B&B lump alot lately and I have heard good things about their briquettes but have not tried them for myself.
There are quite a few people that like Kingsford but I am not one of them.
Your time is worth more than the money you will save on the KBB.
My $.02

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I’m just trying to use the last of my Kingsford up. I have a wide variety of B&B stuff to try after it’s gone. Just learned about them a few weeks ago.

I think it’s relatively likely that a full slow’n’sear would have been enough for the ribs had I been at a higher temp earlier on like you guys said. I think that 215 range was nearly worthless for making any progress. Plus it had been running awhile when I threw the meat on because I was going slow not knowing what I was doing.

Anyways thanks again for your help.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 03:49:43 AM »
@dpilot83 we have all made a calculation error or 2 in our cooks, important thing is you learned a few things and the food was good. Next time apply what you learned and set your main goal to have fun while you cook !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 04:06:16 AM »
We always do ribs at 225-235. Holding that temp on my stick burner is a full time job.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:08:46 AM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 08:24:22 AM »
Check out YouTube for some visual ideas , I have learned a ton of stuff from there . Just don’t get stressed out to much when cooking !! It will work out better each time . We have all been there my friend .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

05Train

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »
I cut my racks into rib pairs - two bones per piece.  This gives more surface area for more even cooking and more smoke flavor.  Typically 5 hour cook for baby backs.  Ribs on at 212, let temperature come up to 225-230, then hold.  Visual check at 4:30, light application of sauce on half of them, and let the temperature come up for the last 30 minutes.

I do not wrap, ever.

On the Weber, I use a mix of whatever briquettes I have (usually Cowboy or something similar) and Rockwood lump.

I lightly salt the ribs 6-12 hours prior to cooking (the night before).  I make my own rubs.  I do not put any sugar in my rubs, ever.

Straight water in the SnS when I cook on the Weber, a cheap beer in the diffuser when I cook in the Keg.

I don't check meat temperature with ribs.  I do it by how much they've pulled back from the bone.

Be careful with lower temperatures.  You really need to be up above 220 for the magic to happen. 

I don't leave any meat out to, "come to room temperature", especially when cooking low & slow.  I want it in the smoke for as long as possible.

A Tip Top Temp is your friend when it comes to maintaining temperature.  I can leave on a motorcycle ride with my grill(s) going and not worry about the temperature going too high or too low.

Best of luck.
If you're having grill problems I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine cookers but a Traeger ain't one.

aaronw915

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 02:38:02 PM »

The bad news is they were literally on the grill for 10 hours.

The good news is, they tasted awesome and I learned some things and next time will be faster and easier.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I think this is the pure essence of bbq and or cooking in general. Learning each time you do something and adjusting for the next time. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

johnlmaddock3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »
check out this website for cooking Kingsford Blue and Weber Kettles.  It is pretty informative.  https://kettlepitmasterbbq.com/

"Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:16 AM »
Ribs really need to be cooked above 225°. Below that temp, it takes a really long time to break down the connective tissue. My preference is 250° which seems to be the perfect temp to break down connective tissue and render fat while maintaining a moist, lip-smacking rib.

dcsham

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 07:47:39 AM »
I run about 225-260 when I'm smoking ribs.  I don't wrap (personal preference) and that adds to my cooking time.  I can smoke a nice rack of St. Louis ribs in about 5.5 hours with these temps without wrapping.

1MoreFord

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 09:36:11 PM »
 If something like this happens again.  Pull them from the grill when it's time to wrap and put them in the oven wrapped or nekkid at about 325°F to finish.
Joe

Falcon MK V gas grill, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG,  Weber 22" OTG

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
Ok...my technique is 4 hours on the smoker at 225-245. Then wrap in double foil, with 6 ounces of Coke (the kind you drink) added to each rack.
Then pop in the oven at 325 for two to three hours.
These turn out wicked good. See the photos from my post above.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

AD18

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2021, 04:15:54 PM »
Newbie here on WKC, first post response.  Observations and advice.  Ribs look like St. Louis cut.  They can easily run 5-6-7 hours dependent on thickness and quality of meat.  10 hr cook probably result of your flame outs.  I run my ribs 225-250, that's my comfort zone.  Usually do back ribs 3.5-4.5 hours tops.  Anything between 225-300 ok, find your comfort zone.  Never trusted taking internal temps of ribs.  Just too thin and always run into bone and grate temp interference.   Do bend test, but usually use tooth pick method like you.  Easy slide in/out they're done.  You had multiple resistance pokes and never got rid of resistance.  Did you take the membrane off of them before cook?  That could have been your issue.  Sometimes the meat just won't work with the toothpick although they are done.  Lastly, wrapping is another personal thing.  Sometimes I wrap, sometimes I don't.  Wrapping can add other flavors via what you put in the wrap and are usually moister in the end because of wrap.  However, going old school without wrap will test your cooking skills and patience a bit more with same result.  Glad you had good results regardless and you learned something.  Always remember smoking is an art that has to be learned over time.  Next time will be even better.  Best of luck in the future.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:19:59 PM by AD18 »