Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives (Poulet Provencal) - RECIPE INCLUDED  (Read 1090 times)

Cellar2ful

My wife found this recipe several years ago on Epicurious.  It is one of our favorite chicken recipes when I am not putting one on a rotisserie.  This one we cooked in the oven but it can be cooked on your Weber in a large baking pan.   

Couple of things we add to this recipe:

- we use organic chicken in this recipe as it cuts way down on the amount of chicken fat/grease produced in the broth. 

- Instead of putting the rub ( minced garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, remaining teaspoon herbes de Provence, and remaining tablespoon olive oil) "on" the chicken, I put the
     mixture of ingredients beneath the skin.  You can loosen the skin by working your hand between the skin and the meat.

- we use three onions instead of 1 the recipe calls for

- I also increase the amount of tomatoes used   

- we add (2) large fennel bulbs (cut into quarters)

- we serve it over a bed of farro (rice can be used but we find farro has a richer, earthier flavor and absorbs more of the juices)

Here is a link to the Epicurious recipe:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/braised-chicken-with-tomatoes-and-olives-em-poulet-provencal-em-241766

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:20:49 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
That looks tasty ! ! !

Just right for the SnS.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
OMG!  That looks positively outstanding!  Great combo on the veggies.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Beautiful cook
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
That looks delicious!

Cellar2ful

This recipe does take quite a bit of prep but I highly recommend you at least try the rub from this recipe. 

I use this rub under the skin of bone in chicken breasts or whole chickens done on the rotisserie.   The flavor is amazing and permeates the chicken meat throughout.   I cut the amount of salt recommended in the recipe to 1/2 teaspoon.

Mix the following ingredients together to make a paste.  Rub beneath and over the chicken skin.

- 2 or 3 garlic cloves chopped/minced

- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

- 1/2 teaspoon salt

- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence

-1 tablespoon olive oil

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives (Poulet Provencal) - RECIPE INCLUDED
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »
I’m excited for this!  I got off work later than expected and hit aldi on the way home. They were out of whole chickens. I settled for a package of bone in skin on breasts. It won’t be the same but hopefully I’ll get a good taste. I used black and kalmata olives and way more sliced and minced garlic than what the recipe called for.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives (Poulet Provencal) - RECIPE INCLUDED
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
Just put it in the oven. Thanks for the inspiration Jim!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:04:13 PM by HoosierKettle »

Cellar2ful

@HoosierKettle -  Looks amazing.  More importantly, did you like it?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

@HoosierKettle -  Looks amazing.  More importantly, did you like it?

Yes. Great flavor and I cooked it inside intentionally to benefit from the aroma that filled the house.

Only thing I would do different is serve it over rice or something similar. We were trying to be low carb but the pan drippings would have been amazing absorbed into to something or sopped up with some French bread.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
For some reason I’m inclined to drop a few sweet Italian sausages in there. I almost did that last night but I didn’t want to alter the flavor the first go.