Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Handle Restore Tips  (Read 634 times)

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
Handle Restore Tips
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:14:41 AM »
Recently came into a blue 22” N code. Two of the handles are pretty shot, but one is actually in good condition. Considering buying a new set/keeping eyes open for a beat up grill w/nice handles to replace the ones on it currently, but was curious for restore tips for the one good handle as I have a gen 2 performer that still has a plastic handle I’ve been meaning to replace. I know I could sand it lightly and restain/seal it, and I’ve also heard to use 0000 steel wool, but I want to try and preserve/enhance the faint Weber logo and stripes that can still be seen. Any tips on techniques/products greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

RobinS

• Smokey Joe
Re: Handle Restore Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:07:23 AM »
You beat me to this one. I think I was 3rd in line when I contacted the seller. I sure someone here can give you some tips on the handle restoration. Congrats on the new pick up!
ISO: Blue MBH 18 & 22

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 12:09:03 PM »
Youd be surprised what a little sanding and stain will do.  You are on the right track with steel wool or super fine sandpaper to not remove too much.

Here's the last couple sets I did that way - just sandpaper and stain here.  Adding some poly next.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »

Sand with #0000 steel wool, paying particular attention to going very lightly over the Weber logo you wish to preserve. The steel wool is really good at removing contaminates on the handles without removing much of the wood itself. Once it is cleaned, wipe with a damp towel and let dry in the sun.  Seal and protect it by either spraying with Helmsman Spar Urethane or you can brush coat from a can of Helmsman. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"