Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling fresh caught fish  (Read 900 times)

SacramentoWeber

• WKC Brave
Grilling fresh caught fish
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
I’m going on a fishing trip for weekend. The reservoir we are going to is supposed to have a bunch of rainbow trout. I’m planning on cleaning the fish at the campsite and grilling them up. Any grilling recipe recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilling fresh caught fish
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »
Yep. Lightly coat with brown sugar. Put a strip of bacon inside. Or, slather mayo with green onion on and in. You could just cast iron them in butter ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bo31047

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 07:06:24 AM »
Cast iron and butter as mentioned above

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 07:09:26 AM »
Plus one on the butter.. I like just a little rosemary, lemon, and cracked black pepper too

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 08:50:16 AM »
Gut the fish.

Then find a weenie stick to put the fish on. Shove the stick in its mouth, all the way down to the tail.

Use soft green twigs to tie around the fish on the stick, so it dont fall off quite so easily.

Cook over a camp fire.

No seasoning required...mother natures already taken care of that for you.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
It depends on if it's hatchery trout or wild...most wild is pinkish and tastes great by itself...hatchery, stocked, in my experience white meat and bland....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Don-in-Vero

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »
Fish is my favorite grilling food.
If cooking filets, I like a combination of olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and dried herbs of your preference (I like a Mediterranean blend). The vinegar, being acid, breaks the bond of the protein molecules, allowing them to separate slightly. This allows the oil to penetrate resulting in a moister fish. You can just as easily use lemon or lime for an acid. If lime, try putting a tablespoon of tequila in the mix.
Before you put the fish on, be sure to rub the hot grill several times (I do five) with an oil soaked paper towel.
When turning the fish, use a thin spatula, or better yet a couple of fish spatulas. The fish is ready to turn when you lift the edge gently with the spatula and find it releases easily. If cooking a skin on filet, first cook the skin side up for a couple minutes and then turn skin side down for the remainder.
You can determine how done a thick filet is by looking at the edge.
Have fun.