Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a 2006 Performer w/ gas assist  (Read 1030 times)

KnuckleHead

• Happy Cooker
Picked up a 2006 Performer w/ gas assist
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:58:49 PM »
Howdy folks. I am a new member here. I've visited before to read a bit, but just registered so I could share my score from this weekend.

I've been cooking on a standard 18" kettle I inherited from a friend several years ago. This is the nicest grill I've ever owned. I am really excited to get cooking on it!

Purchased this through an online estate sale on Friday. Picked it up Saturday. Paid $43.

Pretty good condition overall. It came with a cover, which is shot (brittle and cracking/crumbling), but it did its job in protecting the grill. I tested the gas assist and it fired right up on the first click with the gas canister it came with  :D.

The two letter code on the vent is "DR", which dates this to 2006.

At some point I will do a thorough restoration, but at this point I will simply clean it up and replace the cover and grates.

Based on info posted here by other members, I think I will go with the Classic Accessories cover.

Any recommendations for a relatively affordable option to replace both grates? Weber stainless grates or something better in that price range?

Ok, enough talk, on to pictures.

Here she is as purchased:

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Picked up a 2006 Performer w/ gas assist
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
The Weber GBS grates are thicker than the regular Weber hinged grates and more versatile.  You would do well to get one of those.  If you want to spend extra $$ but get a grate that will last a long long time, then get Killa Grilla.  For the charcoal grate, the standard Weber charcoal grate will suffice.

Nice pick up on the Performer, btw.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:15:59 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:23:13 PM »
Welcome & nice score.  Damn cheap too.
regards,
Hal

Mr.Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
Nice come up!!!! 👍

kejster

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »
Don't go with the chromed GBS grates. They flake at high heat, and rust in a couple of years.
Either go with the Weber stainless, or some other brand of stainless.

Best regards. Kenneth.
Best regards. Kenneth.

kejster

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
Btw., I am just restoring a 2007 Performer (same model), so I would really like to see more photos as you get along with the project.
Best regards. Kenneth.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
I would recommend buying a SS grate.  One time investment.   Here are some options.

Killa Grilla 21.5" SS grate          http://killagrilla.com/   (3 styles  one with two flip up doors ($75), one with  one flip up door ($75), one solid with no flip ups ($67)  *I have Killa Grilla on my grills

Weber SS grate          (part#80728)    1-800-446-1071  (has two flip up charcoal doors)  ($72)

ABC Barbecue      https://abcbarbecue.com/product/22-cooking-grate/       (one flip door)   $80
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

KnuckleHead

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
Thanks for all the responses and recommendations. Though it is a good bit more than I intended to spend, I think I will go with a Killa Grilla cooking grate. That looks like a solid investment.

At this point, I do not intend to do a full overhaul/restoration. My other tinkering hobby is restoring vintage bicycles and I have a serious backlog to get through. For now, I plan to give it a good cleaning and replace the grates. I'll post photos after I finish.

Great forum and great information here!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »

One bit of advice @KnuckleHead (just doesn't sound right lol), never lift your Performer by the resin table. Always lift by grabbing the metal frame.  Overtime those resin tables become brittle and will crack right at the first set of bolt holes.  I can tell you from experience. You can roll it around by the table but don't put any upwards pressure on it.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Bertman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »
Nice. I’m looking at one without gas assist. 75$. I really like the table. I believe it’s a more recent model. Black. I’m a bit obsessed [emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app