Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: OK, you talked me into it...it wasn't very hard  (Read 1107 times)

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
OK, you talked me into it...it wasn't very hard
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »
Thanks to the members who responded to my post looking for advice about an old kettle listed on OfferUp about 40 miles away from me. You all encouraged me to go for it, so tax season or not, I made a Saturday morning trip and got it!

You are all right that it is an 18" kettle apparently of 73-74 vintage:

I am hoping my new friends here at the WKC can give me some good advice about specifics for fixing this cool old grill. I have done a number of gas grill renovations, but I know this is different. I did spend some time studying the GREAT articles about restoration of old kettles on this site.

For now, this find will have to stay dry-docked while I try to make it through tax season. When April 17th passes - and if I am still alive - I hope to breathe some life back into this well-worn survivor.

Here are a few questions I have right now:
1.) There appears to be no provision for wooden handles on the sides. I assume the "lesser" 18 inch kettle did not include these at that time. Does this sound correct?
2.) The wooden handle on the top looks to be the riveted variety. It wiggles a little but is still on pretty well. There doesn't appear to be any evidence that it ever had "Weber" or any of the other logo/words that I have seen on replicas referred to here on the WKC. Would it be likely that the most authentic fix would be NO logo or words? (I suspect that this is the case, but I would LOVE for this grill to have one of those "One and Only" handles!!!)
3.) The bottom charcoal grate is probably restoreable with some elbow grease. The cooking grate looks way too rusty too me. Is it a bad thing to replace it with a new 18" grate or is there a better option?
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: OK, you talked me into it...it wasn't very hard
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 06:24:51 PM »
@Jon Tofte
Nice find on a vintage 18.
Yes you are correct about the handles. No wood on the sides.
If the top handle is tight, you should just clean it up and leave it as is.
You can always replace it at a later date, but those old 2 rivet handles are quality.
Your grate options are multiple.
You can get a new standard 18 or flip up grate
Or you can als look for a cast iron grate.
You can't go wrong.
It will make a great little grill for most any cooks.
Congrats again, and enjoy!

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »
That vintage 18 you have is an MBH (metal bowl handle), solid metal side handles with no holes, correct for that era.

@Jeff & @Bertl  can help you with the correct reproduction twist on ash pan.

That is the correct stock lid handle with "Weber," worn off between the two rivets. @zavod44 can reproduce that handle in a variety of woods with just about any words you want engraved on it.

The stock wheels look to be in very good shape. There is a tutorial on how to repaint the whitewalls by Matt on the WKC home page.   

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »
I found both a 73 and a 74 Weber brochure at The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board where I am also a member. I guess my new find was called “The 49er”. I wish the brochure showed the handle top, but it gives flavor and historical background.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Nice score and it looks to have a real nice orange peel finish.
May The Smoke Be With You!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:36:02 AM »
Glad you got it!
Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
Nice!!! Congrats!! [emoji41][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 04:24:52 AM »
Older ones like that in FL are few and far between. Good snag and congrats!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH