Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2" New York Strip Sous vide, vortex, cast iron and PORK LARD!  (Read 1375 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
New York Strip and potatoes last night

New York Strip was a thick 2" steak.  It was frozen so I ran a little water over it so the seasoning would stick. Then vacuum sealed it and cooked it in my sous vide at 138 for about 3 hours.  It was fully thawed within about 20 minutes. 

Seasoned heavily with  kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder.  Potatoes were put in the sous vide as well for about 45 minutes to get them partially cooked before finishing on the grill.  Seasoned with salt, pepper, butter, and Italian seasoning. 

I pulled the steak out of the sous vide to allow it to cool will I finished the potatoes.  Potatoes were finished on the grill in a disposable foil pan with the melted butter from the sous vide bag as well as the juice from the steak.

The steak was seared using my cast iron skillet and pork lard over my vortex.  The skillet was between 600-700 degrees.  If the lard isn't smoking then the skillet isn't hot enough yet!

Post sous vide.  Pre sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: 2" New York Strip Sous vide, vortex, cast iron and PORK LARD!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
Yum!!!! Been craving a good steak. Love the red SSP also. Think I'm going to gradually convert my whole collection to red.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
Picture #5........oh my. Nicely done Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 05:57:24 PM »
Dude, you had me at the title. That looks so f'n good. Also love the HFG handle on the redhead, PRIMO      8)
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
I'd never push that plate away...might even eat the plate too.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 02:13:28 AM »

I'd never push that plate away...might even eat the plate too.

You've got a good handle on what's up!  LOL!!!

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 06:19:32 AM »
That looks awesome! And I love the redhead!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
Heckuva Cook Mike!