Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sunny & 65 Chicago / Brisket Anyone  (Read 2621 times)

w3ber

• WKC Brave
Re: Sunny & 65 Chicago / Brisket Anyone
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 03:45:10 AM »
@kettlecook: Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have actually been smoking on my kettles for about 20 years now. Up until this cook I had only used the charcoal baskets in an indirect arrangement the two baskets on opposite sides, and water pan in the middle. With the method I just mentioned I have cooked chicken, ribs, roasts, casseroles, to name a few. So in reality I had a lot of practice just not with the brick, bank, and water pan method. After using this new to me method I will be using it a lot more. About the stubs I think the stubs lasts longer than most other charcoals. I did not pay attention to the additional flavor and darkness you had mentioned / I will now. Regarding the butcher paper could you elaborate a bit more on this? I assume you wrap in butcher paper after the cook then wrap in a towel then into a cooler.

Thanks WNC
Green SSP x2 DD DA / 22.5 Blk bowl, Red lid (Rescued) / Jumbo Joe / 18.5 N / / SJ100 / UDS 55 /\ Gas Weber Genesis Gold /\ Weber Fire Pit

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 05:16:39 AM »

@kettlecook: Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have actually been smoking on my kettles for about 20 years now. Up until this cook I had only used the charcoal baskets in an indirect arrangement the two baskets on opposite sides, and water pan in the middle. With the method I just mentioned I have cooked chicken, ribs, roasts, casseroles, to name a few. So in reality I had a lot of practice just not with the brick, bank, and water pan method. After using this new to me method I will be using it a lot more. About the stubs I think the stubs lasts longer than most other charcoals. I did not pay attention to the additional flavor and darkness you had mentioned / I will now. Regarding the butcher paper could you elaborate a bit more on this? I assume you wrap in butcher paper after the cook then wrap in a towel then into a cooler.

Thanks WNC

Yes sir. The method has been popularized by Aaron Franklin of Austin Texas and Franklin BBQ fame. He runs offset stick-burners but has some great YouTube videos. Basically though, the butcher paper is used in place of a typical foil wrap during the stall. And Franklin will tell you that if the brisket doesn't need it, don't wrap with anything at all. Something to remember when cooking on a kettle as opposed to a stick burner, for sure. I start mine out on my offset and use nothing but hickory and oak, wrap in paper when it looks right, then often finish on the kettle. Anyhow, you might have a hard time finding the pink paper they use in Texas, but white is fine as long as it's simple butcher paper and not wax paper. The paper will help keep the bark from getting too crust by stopping evaporation. So it'll speed the cook some, but not nearly as much as foil. Here's a link.

https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BBQbot

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 06:54:47 AM »
I'd say you pass the bend test! Nice smke ring you got on there, that looks great!

w3ber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
Thanks kettlecook I will watch and read up on the butcher paper.

Thanks BBQbot
Green SSP x2 DD DA / 22.5 Blk bowl, Red lid (Rescued) / Jumbo Joe / 18.5 N / / SJ100 / UDS 55 /\ Gas Weber Genesis Gold /\ Weber Fire Pit