Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis 3000 NG convert to propane issues  (Read 1532 times)

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
Genesis 3000 NG convert to propane issues
« on: October 04, 2016, 08:47:56 AM »
My questions is I have a Genesis 3000 with a side burner. Last night I swapped out the orfices that I picked up online that had a starter hole of 70. I drilled out to a 59 size to meet the btu rating. I connected a regulator hose off a silver b grill that I have because it threaded right onto manifold. But now it seems like I'm having gas flow problems. When i start grill the first burner lights but when I'm am adjusting from high med lo there is no adjustment just barely lite. When I turn on burner 2, burner 1 shuts off. And burner 2 doesn't come on. The side burner works good it seems. Is it because the metering valve? The control valve? What other options do I need or what am I doing wrong. Do I have to replace manifold from a propane grill. Please help I'm new to weber community and these grills are awesome
Webers rule

vmile

• Smokey Joe
Re: Genesis 3000 NG convert to propane issues
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:58:06 AM »
Hi Speedster,
first try a different propane tank and regulator, your problem might be there. Does the tank/regulator work ok on your propane Silver B?

Secondly, the NG and Propane versions of the  Genesis 1000-5500 series have different valves on the manifold for the different gas types.

It is not just a matter of changing the orifaces. The NG valves allow more gas to flow on the medium and low settings. If anything, the flames should be larger when you use a Propane orafice on a NG valve, as I understand it. When you use a NG orafice on a Propane valve, you run the risk of the flame cutting out on the lower settings. Not so bad in reverse.

Easier to get a NG manifold and swap.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:01:46 PM »
Sounds like low pressure shutoff issue.   Turn off all the burners and the tank.   Unscrew the hose and regulator from the tank.   Screw it    back on making sure that the nipple is fully seated.  Then, open up the tank and wait 30 seconds.  Then turn on the 1st burner and light it.  See if you have nice tall flames coming out of the burner holes.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:04:48 PM »
I found the problem. The manifold was plugged with a spider nest causing a restriction. I removed the 90 degree fitting at manifold. The fitting that connects the hose had the nest inside towards manifold side. Cleaned the fitting and we have a functioning grill. That's for tips

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule