Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Now I have gas!  (Read 3309 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Now I have gas!
« on: August 28, 2016, 12:00:11 AM »
I have inherited my sister and her husbands old red Genesis 1000. They moved on to a brand new smoke colored EP-330 with a side burner. Anyways, I'm excited to go to work on it, restore it and use it once in a while. Do some cooking comparison experiments side by side with a kettle. Reading the 30 year anniversary Genesis article (Class of '85) got me inspired and pumped up to get it. It's going to need some work and a major cleanup but it's in useable condition but will need some new flavorizer bars (those are shot). Possibly some new wood. More pics to come but here's a couple. One question, your kettle history geek nut (me) can't figure out the age of this guy. The serial number sticker is faded. My sister and her husband bought it new in 1997 1999 but I wanted to verify the year. Is there another way to find out? This is embarrassing for me to not know this. I'm new to Gassers. I'm excited to have the benchmark in Weber gas grilling. Any advise would be appreciated. Deciding between porcelain or SS flavorizer bars, grate style etc. I'm thinking SS or for the new grates too.  My first kettles are red and in keeping with tradition, so is my first Genesis. Lid shroud is the same exact shade of firey bright red as my red 97 Budweiser Smokey Joe.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:17:47 PM by Craig »

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
Re: Now I have gas!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »
That will 'clean up' really nice.

If you are serious about keeping it then I would get RCplanebuyer stainless flavorizors and stainless grates.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
How many flavorizer bars does it have? 
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:34:07 PM »
@Craig I have seen production stamps on the side of the lid with the year of manufacture. Like leftover lid vents on charcoal, it isn't definitive, but it is an indicator.

That will look sharp cleaned up!
Uncommon sense seeker

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:32:21 PM »
Thanks guys. OGlenn I will take a look for that. As for the flavorizer bars, this era takes 13 bars (8 short, 5 long.) only 1 survived inspection, the rest were trashed. I will be replacing with SS bars soon. I don't think the inside of this grill has been cleaned in years despite its regular use.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
OGlenn is bang on - stamps on the lid and cookbox castings 8)

Nice score Craig! Looking forward to the resto!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
Now I have gas!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. Upon further inspection this is what I found.

Under the lid on both sides it looks like a single 9

Then under the fire box, looks like a 99

Sorry if the picture quality sucks. The serial number sticker was faded but after peeling it off and taking it in the house I did some CSI studying (a flashlight and my glasses) and made it out to be model 21000 35,000 BTU's serial number EE-304098.  EE of course is 1999. So my sister was two years off. She thought they got it in 97. So a "swan song red" it is. That's what I call the 99 red Webers since it was the last year for the color.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:59:09 PM by Craig »

Eddie Donald

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
How about Weilseams is a good choice

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 08:42:07 AM »
How about Weilseams is a good choice

@Eddie Donald is Weilseams still on ebay?  Can't seem to find his product anywhere..........
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"