Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Smoke with Stubb's.  (Read 1296 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
First Smoke with Stubb's.
« on: July 19, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »
So I bought the Stubb's at Lowe's on sale and then decided to try a pork butt.  I started with 30 unlit briquettes in my Weber basket, lit 7 briquettes and placed them on top, then put my peach wood on top of the lit coals.  I started with a dry water pan but added water to bring the initial temp down a bit.  I don't have any of the fancy thermometers, when the lid temp was at 220 I closed the bottom vent to half.  I didn't get the butt on until noon (hard to start early with an 11 month old) and I didn't need to add fuel until around 4:30.  For the dry rub I used the McCormick Grill Mates Applewood Rub and smoked it for 10 hours.  I took it off at 10 and the internal temp was 195, it rested until 11:30.  Nice smoke flavor and smoke ring, awesome bark and juicy flavor.  Love my kettle.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bigdaddyII

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Smoke with Stubb's.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
Looks delicious! Do you use anything besides the top therm. to tell temp?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
So, what is your thought of Stubb's briquettes compared to regular blue bag Kingsford?
I'll probably be shamed, but I tried Stubb's for the first time also after reading how members prefer it over kbb for smoking.
I personally thought that it was about the same (Damn you to hell, Travis!) It still smoked as it was lighted. Now, I ran a snake. There might be a difference. You did a minion method kind of.

Anyways, just picking the brain here. You're shoulder looks great, btw. Really good bark, and kiddos for even getting it started at that time with a new born!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:00:39 AM »
@bigdaddyII  no I only use the lid thermometer right now. I know, don't trust it right? I'm planning on getting something that can monitor temp wirelessly.

@Travis I've only used Royal Oak lump and now Stubb's. I was hesitant to try Stubb's but the sale was awesome so why not. I'll say this. Stubb's could easily replace RO lump for me once I run out. I've heard KBB has a chemical smell and tons of ash. My buddy used to use KBB and I gave him a bag of Stubb's to try. He loved it.

Thanks for the tips and kind words fellas. Which thermometer setup should I buy?
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »
Man that looks good!
May The Smoke Be With You!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:56 PM »
I love my Maverick 732. Not terribly expensive, especially if you can find it on sale. Comes with a meat and grill probe. Simple to use, and I've had no range issues.
Still need a 22” yellow

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »
Looks great. Your regular oven thermometer sitting on the grate works fantastic - and you probably already have one sitting in a drawer. If not, they cost basically nothing. This style: https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Classic-Thermometer/dp/B0000DJUYR/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468974703&sr=1-5&keywords=oven+thermometer

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:07:30 AM »
That's a nice cook.  I love using a kettle as a smoker.  When I smoke with a kettle I use the old rails and load it up using the minion method.  I hate the thought of reloading and starting the process over again after 4-5 hours.  I bought 6 bags also but haven't got around to trying it yet.  hopefully this weekend.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962