Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anybody Tried One of These?  (Read 3370 times)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
Anybody Tried One of These?
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:45:32 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kettle-2-Zone-with-Water-Pan-for-indirect-cooking-on-a-Weber-22-1-2-kettle-BBQ-/162008146065?hash=item25b8702091:g:YroAAOxyLN9SioFb    I think I like the slow n sear better, but this is about the same thing isn't it, maybe not quite as thick?

(edit--I got this is in the wrong forum.  Sorry about that.  I'm not sure how to change it.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:23:33 AM by cnmg432 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Anybody Tried One of These?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:45 PM »
Meaningfully different from the SnS, which is heavy SS, is a container for charcoal (big one) and larger container for water.

Containing the charcoal means you can move/position it if desired and it helps protect the kettle. High heat from banked coals right up against the sides will eventually cause rust-through if done often enough, or at least cause an ugly pain chip inside or outside. For "typical" grills only kept 10-20 years that might not be a big deal but it is to this crowd. The SnS has bigger water/heat barrier for long (truly long) cooks also.

I own/have used neither but from discussions here that $50 would be better saved put towards the SnS.

Now if you'll excuse me I gotta go and collect my commission check from @ABCbarbecue.

:)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »

Now if you'll excuse me I gotta go and collect my commission check from @ABCbarbecue.

Who do we make it out to?  8)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
Meaningfully different from the SnS, which is heavy SS, is a container for charcoal (big one) and larger container for water.

Containing the charcoal means you can move/position it if desired and it helps protect the kettle. High heat from banked coals right up against the sides will eventually cause rust-through if done often enough, or at least cause an ugly pain chip inside or outside. For "typical" grills only kept 10-20 years that might not be a big deal but it is to this crowd. The SnS has bigger water/heat barrier for long (truly long) cooks also.

I own/have used neither but from discussions here that $50 would be better saved put towards the SnS.

I'm with you I think the $50 would be better toward a Slow N Sear.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
Is it me or does the water pan look like it doesn't attach to anything and will just sit in the coal bed?  That seems a little too basic to be selling for $50.  Shoot, you could buy a hotel pan that would work as a water holder/drip pan/charcoal divider way cheaper!!!  So I'd say if you are saving up for and SNS, save your money and just get a heavy duty SS pan to get you through until you can get an SNS.

I've never even thought of getting some hotel pans before I saw that the water pan for this product is exactly that.  I might have to get a handful of different sized pans to use instead of the disposable foil pans I've always used in my grills.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
Cover 2/3 of the charcoal grate with foil, build a fire-brick wall, set "any" water pan on the cooking grate over the coals -AND- Bob's you uncle, Fannies your aunt you got the method we've been using for years.  Looks just like this product just not as easy to setup.                            SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »
The idea of blocking off the charcoal grate is great (word play!).... Butt tbh... I am not sold. The air flow is driven by convection, by the fire consuming air, and heating it making it raise to the exhaust.
The fire is "sucking in" all the air that comes in... Does this really need to be directly/blocked off? I would think just by nature the fact that the air is heated and raising from the fire forming the void that is drawing in fresh air already dictates the flow pattern... Not sure how much blocking off the air to the empty space below the cooking grate accomplishes... Wouldn't think there would be much directing the air that way in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:36:00 AM »
That 2-zone thing probably just uses the flat part to hold up the charcoal fence. But if you line foil that's yeah, mostly a drip area.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

dgodwin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
I won one last summer here on the forums.  I have yet to use it. Between the wsm, rotisserie, kettle pizza, and 4 kettles to choose from, I never think to use it.  If someone wants to give it a proper trial and review, let me know, and I'm sure we could make it happen.

Sent from my wife's iPad using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »
In the past, that is before my PC died, I had a YTube video of the theory behind this method (of course, it may have been offered by the founder of this accessory, I dunno).  Have to take it at face value, or take a course in Thermodynamics concentrating in laminar flow, or send an eMAIL to Dr. Blonder for the "real" scoop.                           SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
I'm not a fan of the idea of lining the charcoal grate with foil.  I know a lot of people do it, but I think you are messing with how the kettle is designed to more air around.  I just use disposable aluminum pans to catch drippings.  And really the only thing I worry about drippings with is long smokes.  Chicken, steaks, chopes, etc usually get no drip pan.  I just remove whatever I am using to create multiple zones, then rake the coals to the drippy area post cook and let the coals burn it up.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Heatseeker

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »
Here is another alternative to  the Slow and Sear. This one allows different size zones depending on placement.

http://www.changonbbq.com/

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »
Cover 2/3 of the charcoal grate with foil, build a fire-brick wall, set "any" water pan on the cooking grate over the coals -AND- Bob's you uncle, Fannies your aunt you got the method we've been using for years.  Looks just like this product just not as easy to setup.                            SJ

Still no protection to the side of the bowl, but interesting for zone adjustment.                                       SJ