Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: temp management using vents  (Read 5187 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: temp management using vents
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
definitely try to keep top vent open as much as possible

for low and slow, sometimes i'll close it 1/4 (still 3/4 open) - but that's the max unless there's an emergency.

for grilling, always wide open.

creosote happens when the fire is over choked, this can happen from exhaust build up, or lack of oxygen (essentially the same thing)
The best way to prevent is keep lit fuel to a minimum, and let exhaust out as quickly and cleanly as possible.

I run my WSM clone with the bottom vents nearly completely closed and top vents completely open.
If the temps get too hot (if i start with too much lit, or if i keep the lid off for too long), I have no choice but to choke the fire buy cutting off the exhaust. Although I'd rather just let it run hot than do that.
This is why i run with an empty water pan. If shit gets out of control, i can add water mid-cook to bring temps down without choking the coals.

Yeah my empty pan has been filled to slow down a run away fire on occasion. It's my bbq parachute.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP