Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2015 Performer Deluxe  (Read 3737 times)

DeMan

• Happy Cooker
2015 Performer Deluxe
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
I ordered a Performer Deluxe and it is being delivered tomorrow.  It replaces a plain 22" kettle.  My question to the group is what if I want to use more charcoal than fit into the two holders provided?  When I grill I pretty much use almost every square inch available, and it looks like the holders may be inadequate.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Re: 2015 Performer Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
Buy a set of Weber charcoal rails. You can position them anywhere on the charcoal grate to give you more room for charcoal than the charcoal bins provide.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

DeMan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
Thanks for the super rapid reply.  But don't the coals need to be positioned directly over the burner in order to light?

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »
If you need more and currently use a chimney, you can just put that over the propane starter if you want. The baskets (heaping) hold about a full Weber chimney.

Otherwise, let us know how you currently start your coals and then we can offer suggestions.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Boosty16

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
I use a chimney when not using my baskets.  FYI, that charcoal starter is very powerful. 
2015 Performer Deluxe, 2015 26er and a 18.5" WSM

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »
Try using the baskets that are provided. I use them all the time and they generally hold all the charcoal I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »
A "plain 22" kettle" is no different than a Performer, minus the extra features a performer has. Use it just like you did before. The charcoal baskets are nice to hold the charcoal to the sides when you want to do indirect cooking.

If you don't have a Weber chimney, buy one for $15. Put it over the performer burner for 5 minutes or so, turn gas off, wait until the flames are licking the top of the chimney, empty it and spread evenly all across the charcoal grate if you want to cook everything direct.

Rick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
Yes, the 2 baskets together hold about the same as a chimney. On the 4th cooked 7 potatoes. Onion and pepper packs indirect for over an hr on 2 char baskets, and then 7  11/2" steaks direct just adding a small amount of extra coal.
Weber 2015 Performer Deluxe, Weber 2001 WSM 18.5 and a Wilmington Grill 2005 Cape Fear.

DeMan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
Wow, this is a great forum.  Thanks to everyone for the advise.  I guess the old trial and error method will determine how I light my coals.  I don't have a chimney but will probably buy one.  Now I'm just spreading hardwood charcoal on the lower grate and using the "juice" to get it going.  The owner;s manual for Performer Deluxe says never to use starter fluid, I assume due to likelihood of damage to the gas ignition system.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:42:32 PM »
you can get a weber chimney starter at wal-mart.  best way to start the charcoal and 0 lighter fluid taste.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
defiantly just spend the $15.99 get the chimney to light your coal in over the burner tube then dump it were you like and throw away the lighter fluid LOL
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
Great grill, Toss that lighter fluid out! load the chimney bottom with some paper, load with some charcoal, light with match, and  crack a beverage of your choice!   :)
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »
I bought a 2015 deluxe this spring and I agree with what other folks are saying.  Fill up the full size weber chimney, put it over the gas assist for a couple of minutes to get it going, then turn off the assist and let it continue to burn for another 10 or 15 minutes.  A full chimney of Kingsford Blue is enough to fill both baskets.  Be sure and get yourself some high heat gloves like welders wear or the silicone rubbery kind meant for cooking.

Oh, and if you decide to hook a 20 lb propane tank up to it, be sure to open the valve on the propane tank slowly.  If you open it too fast, the sudden pressure trips some sort of valve in the ignition system and it cuts off the flow of propane. 

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
Or heck, just buy another grill on craigslist for $20 that comes with a chimney.  I bought my first chimney for $15 and have since acquired 4 more through CL finds.  None of the grills cost more than $20.  And you can always use another grill!

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
Wow, this is a great forum.  Thanks to everyone for the advise.  I guess the old trial and error method will determine how I light my coals.  I don't have a chimney but will probably buy one.  Now I'm just spreading hardwood charcoal on the lower grate and using the "juice" to get it going.  The owner;s manual for Performer Deluxe says never to use starter fluid, I assume due to likelihood of damage to the gas ignition system.

Definitely grab a chimney ASAP.  I was always skeptical of how much of a difference they made before I decided to try it on a camping trip.  Not only do you not need any lighter fluid, its amazing how easily and quickly it gets your coals going--especially compared to the ol' soak and light method.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM