Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Favorite Utensils  (Read 3156 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
My Favorite Utensils
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
Why not start a thread where we can a we can show off our favorite grilling utensils? If you're just starting out, this is the place to save yourself the hassle of buying junk you don't need, and invest in the stuff you do.

I'll start off with my favorite spatula: it's a ROSLE. Heavy duty, big, but not too big head, and built for a lifetime. ROSLE stuff can be expensive, but I found this on clearance at a HomeGoods store for $14.00. I would have paid retail and felt good about it. (Around $40)

Next up is my favorite grill brush: The Tool Wizard. Stainless replaceable pads, long sturdy handle, heavy construction. Made by Barr Brothers company. Find it on Amazon. Get a two-pack and a set of replacement brushes for around $24.00 and don't look back. It might be the last grill brush you ever buy.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:08:56 AM by MartyG »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My Favorite Utensils
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:23:53 AM »
Those look good. I'd also note that the end loop or hook is critical for hand tools, since pretty much any Weber grill "expects" them. Tiny loop holes for example will be useless without a piece of leather shoe string tied through it to create the loop.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 02:37:14 AM »
My least favourite is the weber straight handle grill brush sold at the ace and lowes. It was new and pretty. As soon as got it home I was like "this thing ain't gonna work!"  Needs an angled head. "Come on man!" (Chris Carter voice)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:57:33 AM »
It goes without saying that the Thermapen is right up there with the favorite utensil of everyone in the WKC. Bonus points for limited edition models!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »
I have a huge batch of grill tools some really expensive and some really cheap ones and honestly the difference on many is negligible.
Over time i've found i dont use 2/3's of them and everytime i'm at a big box store and see those metal case grill tool gift sets, i just shake my head at the useless collection of junk.

Maybe i am alone on this but my BBQ essential tools are simple:

2 or more sets of basic locking metal tongs: one for raw one for cooked, more if you want to avoid cross contamination of different foods
2 basic metal spatulas: raw and cooked, primarily for for burgers.

If i'm using sauce i will add one silicone brush, and or a spray bottle to mop.Any BBQ brushes with bristles end up getting used as ash brushes to help clean up what ever the one touch blades dont reach on their own.

A quality instant read thermo is indespensible - a digital probe therm is very handy for indirect cooking too.

I recently grabbed a pair of silicone grilling gloves for handling butts and chickens. handy but by no means essential.

The one "tool" that never comes up but i  find should be absolutely required on every cook: small white towel or better a set of them.
I find i am constantly wiping my hands,the grill,and the grilling table while grilling. Perhaps even a forehead wipe if im on the grill for a long period on a hot day. Aaron franklin uses towels to handle meat instead of utenstils to protect bark. I picked up a 20 pack at home depot for $10. They're cheap enough that you can throw out if you don't want to wash them.

As far as grill brushes to clean grates: i've had all shapes and sizes and my favorite was inside a kettle i bought on craigslist:
Its this in red:

It a no-name brand but the smaller handle makes it WAY easier to use (obviously use caution if cleaning a hot grill).

The three sided weber brushes are good for the round edges of the kettles too.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
I nabbed these in a box of stuff at an auction, sold most of the crap in the box, and these ended up being free.  My favorite tool so far.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »
Some of my favs:

OXO 16" Tongs.  I like OXO better than any other tong I've used.  Restaurant stores generally have nice tongs too:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-16-Inch-Locking-Tongs/dp/B00004OCM3/ref=pd_sim_79_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=05BC9X1XSYY20W20645Z

Saw this, looking for the above.  I think it is the same tongs, with a turner and both with better hooks for hanging:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-2-Piece-Grilling-Tools/dp/B00IG9DGVC/ref=sr_1_8?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1434000707&sr=8-8&keywords=oxo+tongs&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Dexter Russell 8" x 3" Turner.  This or similar is really nice.  I like it better than the shorter kitchen style:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8YMQT4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Chafing Pan.  Really nice for marinating whole racks of ribs or skewers, or moving food to or from the grill.  A lid is a nice addition.  I use a 2.5" deep, a 4" deep, and a lid.  Like these (a commodity item at a Restaurant store):
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Full-Size-Anti-Jamming-Steam/dp/B000UBI330/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1434001510&sr=8-7&keywords=restaurant+chafing+pan&pebp=1434001517715&perid=C9740A76E1FE4110839C

http://www.amazon.com/Winco-SPF2-2-1-2-Inch-Full/dp/B001VZCQSM/ref=pd_sim_79_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YE4MFP3AAY0CKV2SM5K

http://www.amazon.com/Winco-SPSCF-Size-Solid-Cover/dp/B001VZ58YG/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YE4MFP3AAY0CKV2SM5K

Excellent and well priced Chafing Pans, Tongs, and Turners are found at Restaurant Supply stores. 

Grate Brush.  This inexpensive and disposable brush works really well.  You can really put your weight into scrubbing.  The pad does get torn up when it snags on the end of the grates, so be careful (When this happens, I trim off the long pieces and it keeps working well.).  I haven't fully worn one out yet, not yet sure if there will be a way to install my own new pads:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_253103-47981-42200___?productId=3461932&pl=1&Ntt=bbq+brush

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:04:45 AM by ClubChapin »

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 02:59:31 AM »
Quantity over quality w/ me...

""+never hurts to have two sets of tongs...one clean (Food) & a cheap or "dirty" set for arranging coals (hot or cold)""

Also, I'd rather have multiple (clean) cheap a$$ grill brushes than one 15$ name brand one that is growing sh!t on it...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 05:50:39 AM »
my last comment said two pairs of tong, one for raw food one for cooked, add a third pair for moving coals or dirty grates to the list above.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
I use the Weber tongs and spatula, the ones that have a rubber grip area and for larger item i have a large spatula that i picked up at Wally World one year.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 12:43:41 AM »
I 2nd Uker...I LOVE my pigtail flippers. I have both short and long ones...Oh yea, they're left handed too...great for flipping as well as spinning pizza in my KettlePizza
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »
Would my 8" CI skillet count?
if not then I'd have to say the old glove I use to move it is priceless...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 02:36:32 PM »
I 2nd Uker...I LOVE my pigtail flippers. I have both short and long ones...Oh yea, they're left handed too...great for flipping as well as spinning pizza in my KettlePizza

I have them both too, only took the short one out for the pic. Don't think I've ever used the long one... yet.