Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs, pork steaks and ...  (Read 3301 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Ribs, pork steaks and ...
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
This here's another production with @chuck s who I graciously allowed to do most all of the work. Because I'm just that kind of guy, generous to a fault.

So Chuck comes over and pitches an idea for a cookup and he's got a rack of ribs preseasoned from the Cajun butcher. I had a Boston butt already in the fridge and had been thinking about pork steaks. Done!

I'm getting my two main tools ready, a 22 and the 18 while my assistant cuts up the pork steaks, seasons them and then also preps the potatoes. I tell ya, it's hard work watching other people do "stuff". I'm tired just thinking about it.

Got 3 steaks cut and the rest of the butt with the bone got put in the freezer.

The 18 had the potatoes all to itself for quite a while, with a full chimney of char. They'd been setup with a large cut onion, Amish butter etc. Later, we scrunched the foil pan to make room for one of the pork steaks, like so:

The other 2 pork steaks and rib rack did an indirect thing on the other rig, running some hot Coshell. After awhile, apple chunks had been added to both machines:

Emptied frozen bags of corn and peas ... seasoned up, more Amish buttah ...

What's happening now is we're waiting a few minutes for the kettles to both regain some heat. Both began hot and had been squelched and so, then opened back up. Didn't take long. This is also where the apple wood entered, for both.

I'm told patience is a virtue, so I do my part to help where and how I can:

Veggies on:

After a rib flip, small piece of beef added for the wife,

finished pork steak glamour shots:

and so:

Everything was delicious, especially the parts I watched get cooked by my delegate. Which was basically everything. :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ribs, pork steaks and ...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 07:26:52 PM »
love me some pork steaks! growing up, when my dad(he grew up in St. Louis) did bbq, it was always pork steaks smothered in homemade bbq sauce. there were never any leftovers. I do a lot of pork steaks(though around here in tx, it's often labeled as sliced bone-in pork butt/shoulder) because they're quick/awesome and taste great with my own take on my dad's homemade sauce. I also do them up like a beef steak and they're great that way too.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:09:45 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke is being kind - there's times I get a little bossy so it's just easier to let me do it....!!

.... pork steaks smothered in homemade bbq sauce.

So what's the secret if you care to share - we're new to pork steaks but seems a great way to go .... any insight would be appreciated!! :)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:16:18 AM »
You guys are eating well in the ATL!

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:06:26 AM »
Good product placement, so how was the Lagunitas?

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 05:12:29 AM »
addicted-to-smoke, man what a great job on the cooking of the pork and veggies. I like how you did your page layout and write up.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:20 AM »

So what's the secret if you care to share - we're new to pork steaks but seems a great way to go .... any insight would be appreciated!! :)

dust with rub, cook via reverse sear then toss in a pot with your sauce and mix it all up
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 07:04:38 AM »

Jack it was mighty fine. Since it's a PA and not an IPA it doesn't knock you over with hops but still has a flavor most PAs don't.

Lagunitas is one of the few breweries where I can say I've enjoyed everything they make.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »

Jack it was mighty fine. Since it's a PA and not an IPA it doesn't knock you over with hops but still has a flavor most PAs don't.

Lagunitas is one of the few breweries where I can say I've enjoyed everything they make.
[/quot

I'll drink to that

Cheers

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
Never done reverse sear shoulder chops but will soon. Your dinner looks plenty good.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
ATL crushing it again!