Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Change of plans  (Read 1597 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Change of plans
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »
Was planning ribs today but we ended up doing burgers instead and I got a chance to make some homemade mayonnaise to go on my burgers.....it was good!

The mayonnaise was made using the Emersion Blender I got for my Wife for Xmas......and in case anybody noticed....I have gone back to using my Weber cooking grate that came with my grill. I love my Craycort but ease of use and a few other things have made me switch back.....that's another post.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Change of plans
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
What all went into your mayo?
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:29:45 AM »
Looks good, I will be interested in your thoughts on the Craycort, I had a set and sold them last year......
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:31:39 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:31:08 AM »
Double post
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:00:31 AM »
I am considering Craycort myself, and would like to hear some user opinions on them too.
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »
Ok, the Mayo first.

1 Egg Yolk
1/2 Tbs Vinegar
1/2 Tbs Lemon Juice
1/4 + 1/8 tsp Salt
1/16 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Olive Oil

I know some of the measurements are kind of odd but I took the recipe and cut it in half. This will make plenty and because it has raw egg in it , it will not keep for very long after it is made. Make small batches and use it up instead of a large batch that you have to throw out. It will keep for at least 2 days in the fridge maybe more but I would use it the same day as made and pitch the rest after use if there is any left over. The trick to this recipe is the use of an emersion blender (stick blender). You put all of the ingredients into a container (glass cup or jar or similar) and let it sit for a minute or so to let the yolk settle to the bottom and then use the blender at the bottom of the container....just small pulses!!! If you go full blast you will get something ...not Mayonnaise! Keep pulsing it and the chemical reaction will start and pretty soon you will have the best, freshest Mayo you have ever had....(you can add different spices to make it just the way you want ).You can use a food processor but you have to use a different technique when adding the oil....you can find videos online how to do it.

As far as the Craycort goes.... I do love mine....but....there are a few things that I don't like , or better put ...are kind of a drag about it when I am grilling/baking. It is MUCH easier to take out the Weber grate when I am prepping/cleaning the grill, and it is MUCH easier to put the grate back in for a cook as well. This is nitpicking but since I do grill/bake a lot and sometimes I do several cooks back to back ( I use my one(only) Weber grill exclusively) it is easier to "Flip" the grill ( change the configuration of the grill e.g.from normal operation to rotisserie or the like) with the Weber grill. I go from low and slow to hot and fast and go from hot and fast to low and slow quite often as well and that is enough of a challenge without having to wrestle the extra weight of the cast iron.  I know that I am strange....I actually like to clean  the grate after a cook, and I like to clean the Weber grate more than the Craycort because again it is easier. Would I recommend the Craycort to somebody who owns a Weber and was interested in one...Yes. Do they cook food faster, more evenly, and all the other stuff you read about them in the ads....no, not in my experience. They do give you great grill marks but they don't cook the meat any better in my experience. I have used the Craycort EXCLUSIVELY for over a year...thats at least 3 cook a week for over a whole year so it's not like I tried them once and gave up on them....this is all just my oppinion and what works better for me. In some of my other post I talk about the things I love about the Craycort grate so it's not that I don't like them it's just that for the way that I use my grill ( which is for ANYTHING that would need to be cooked/baked in an oven since I don't currently have an oven in my house) the Weber grill with the hinged sides works better for me and is just plain easier to use and move around , especially when hot.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!