Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first SS Performer  (Read 6795 times)

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: My first SS Performer
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »
Here's the SS "button head" machine screw on my daisy wheel repair.

I think it looks pretty good.
Same OD as the rivet head.

That looks very nice, what sized drill bit did you use to drill it out?
I think It was about 1/4" 19/64" (pro-type 135 degree) and I didn't want to blast through and take the chance of damaging anything.
I used that bit because it was sharp and large enough to cut away at the rivet flange (inside the kettle). Go slow and lightly tap with a center punch (and hammer) to check progress.
Do not drill through with this size bit...the hole in the kettle needs to remain at 1/4"

Instead I went slowly and just thinned the rivet flange until I could manually push it out.
The bit never touches the kettle.

The 135 degree business describes the cutter angle on the bit....consumer grade bits are "pointier" and are not a good choice for this.

Also did you use a lock washer on the underside to keep it from coming loose?
No, the better solution is a lock nut and a cut (flat) washer for it to ride against.
I used a Weber lock nut which looks like a Nylock nut except no nylon insert.
A lock washer would be OK if you were never going to move the daisy wheel....the back and forth action might loosen it, otherwise.
Even the lock nut could loosen, I suppose.

Another way to look at is that you are trying to simulate a rivet flange, so you want all the locking to occur at the nut.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:27:15 PM by DirectDrive »

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
So, I had the tank filled up and now I am trying to use the gas assist and it flames a little then it goes out. 

Try this.  Light the gas assist like normal.  With the tank valve still open, close the in-line valve.  Now open the in-line valve and hit the ignitor button.  More times than not, that will give me the correct flame.

That is, unless your burner tube and/or orfice is plugged with crap.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 01:04:57 PM »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »
I haven't had a chance to read the most recent replies to this, I did however make a video to show you what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blmjRsWOZKc

BTW, I called Weber and a new Regulator costs $98
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
I haven't had a chance to read the most recent replies to this, I did however make a video to show you what is going on.

WOW. I paid $45 for mine last year and I thought I was getting fleeced. My buddy might have an extra but it's untested. If you are interested, lmk.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »

It is possible that the regulator is goofed......

I found this some time ago.....

A guy who actually knows what the hell goes on with this stuff:

"If there is no residual pressure in the hose and regulator, the needle valve stays in the shut position, and very little gas gets to your grill.'

That little nugget is from the middle of one of his two posts on this page:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/43349-gas-grill-propane-tank-2.html

I know it seems like a lot of reading thru shit, but if it's something that can be remedied without great expenditure, then woopie......

Also, what they're talking about is full on gassers, but I do believe the same principles apply.....

a buddy of mine had a large gas oven (caterer's rig, nice) up at a music festival a few years ago & we went thru this same stuff, I've gone thru the "re-set" dance w/ my little Camp Chef 2-burner also.... sputtering and/or low flow...........

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »

Forgot to say: That rig does look REAL nice....the table, the lid, the frame are in rocket shape....blowouts are minor compared to that !!!!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
Deleted, wrong thread.
  8)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:11:10 PM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 11:48:51 PM »

WOW. I paid $45 for mine last year and I thought I was getting fleeced. My buddy might have an extra but it's untested. If you are interested, lmk.

I may take you up on that, I will let you know.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 02:11:27 AM »
Great looking SS Performer, what's with the black ash pan? Did you change it?
I thought they only came post 2000's models?
My performer starts the same as yours on the first click of the ignition button, same noise, lights up for about 2-3 seconds and then it goes out, but when I click the ignition a second time it starts and runs perfectly. I installed a new regulator on mine a year ago and it has done this since I first installed it.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 05:03:56 AM »
Great looking SS Performer, what's with the black ash pan? Did you change it?
I thought they only came post 2000's models?
My performer starts the same as yours on the first click of the ignition button, same noise, lights up for about 2-3 seconds and then it goes out, but when I click the ignition a second time it starts and runs perfectly. I installed a new regulator on mine a year ago and it has done this since I first installed it.

RE the black pan, that I got from a past OT grill and love it so much that it follows me from grill to grill.