Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Weberific Saturday!  (Read 4444 times)

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
A Weberific Saturday!
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »
This Saturday I was able to go out to the Weber Grill in Schaumburg, IL for a grilling class titled "Thanksgiving Feast". I enjoyed the class I took there a couple months ago and thought this class sounded like a good idea to get me prepared for the upcoming holiday. This was a demonstration class but still an enjoyable time.  The menu for the day was: Grilled Butternut Squash and Apple Soup, Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Maple Glaze, Grill Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Apples and Sweet Potatoes, Smoke Roasted Whole Turkey with Beer Can Chicken Spice, Cornbread Rosemary Stuffing, Roasted Whole Apples Stuffed with Apricots and Raisins, and a featured beverage of Spiced Cider Sangria. Overall this was an enjoyable class but I did not like it as much as the previous class. My main reason for this was the other class dealt with smoking and barbecue as the main subject. This class was slow roasting and grilling. Quite simply, I enjoyed the smoking/BBQ class subject more. Both were quality classes without doubt.

Here is what I pulled up to (I knew it was going to be a good day seeing this).

From the beginning you are treated with the exceptional Weber customer service. After taking your seat you are greeted with mimosas and coffee. After a brief introduction the demonstration begins.

We start right off with the turkey. Some highlights were to make sure it is dried off before cooking, bringing it close to room temp prior to placing it on the kettle, and remember the dark meat cooks faster.  To aid in cooking time and to ensure the bird will fit on the grill, the turkey was split in two.

The majority of the class was giving an explanation of how to prepare the food to be cooked and general cooking tips. Sorry there aren't more photos, I was busy listening and then stuffing my face with the very tasty food we got to sample.

I did ask how they liked the new all natural charcoal they are using. The chef said he liked it and didn't miss the smell of Kingsford. It is interesting to note that, even with the new charcoal they are using, they still don't like to add unlit coals to a fire. They still prefer to have it ashed over before adding to an ongoing cook. I am sure it does produce a lot less ash but it still looked to choke out a lot like Kingsford would. It seems like the main thing they feel they are accomplishing is the elimination of the initial odor of Kingsford, even though they used it successfully for decades.

There was also a brief side discussion regarding searing. Some of you that have worked in the biz may already know this but the chef said they always reverse sear the steaks in order to get better, more consistent results in the environment they are dealing with. Generally, they only get the nice marks on the one "presentation" side.

If I ever get time I will scan the recipe book they gave out and share it.

Thanks for stopping in to read this and I wish you could have been there!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Re: A Weberific Saturday!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
Todd,

I'd love to take a class at Weber.  Looks like a lot of fun - thanks for sharing.

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
Ill 2nd that - wish they would do something like that here in Oz

Dan

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
awesome post! how do you sign up for these? Are they free?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
A Weberific Saturday!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »
The only place they have them available right now is at the Weber Grill Schaumburg location. You can see the class list and a short description on the website for that location. The 2014 schedule is due out soon. The cost for the class can vary but they average $60. It is an enjoyable couple of hours to relax and talk food.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
Does anyone know where they sell those briquets? I have never seen them anywhere

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
A Weberific Saturday!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 05:59:42 AM »
They don't sell them to the public. It was mentioned that the hardwood briquettes at Trader Joes are very close.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:22:24 AM »
Thanks for attending and sharing pictures. I really appreciate you asking about the charcoal. I actually like the smell of Kingsford, maybe because it was so widely used when I was young and brings back memories, (not with lighter fluid). I use lump most of the time now, but still keep some "K" on hand.
I also find the split turkey interesting because I do chickens like that and have butterflied a few turkeys with great results just because I was going for flavor and not presentation. For presentation I like to cook them standing up and sometimes even upside down. I also like the golden brown skin color I get when doing one that way. I have one like that planned for this year. I don't know why they didn't just use a WSM?

Here's one I did a couple years back.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 06:22:53 AM »
Speaking of Trader Joes, I had half a bag that I used for a recent cook, and was not impressed. Seemed to take much longer to ash over, did not hold the heat that well, and left a lot of dark sand-like residue in the bottom of the kettle. Don't know how old the bag was, or if it had been wet in it's life, but compared to KB I was not happy. I hope the Weber formula (and we heard that they may begin ramping up production if they can find the right partner) is the best of the best. Time will tell.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
A Weberific Saturday!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »
Duke, that looks excellent!  You should detail your method in the turkey thread!

I too love the smell of KB for what I am sure are the same reasons you mention. I still use it as my primary fuel.

They didn't use a WSM because they were cooking at a higher temp and also wanted to show how cooking the two halves allow for a more even meat temperature with a good moisture level.

Marty, I was surprised to hear that comparison because your statement about TJ's is the same as I have heard before. I don't think Weber briquettes accomplish much other than they don't have the same smell as KB and there is a little less ash. On one cook in the demo the ash still choked out the coals so there is nothing gained there by ash production. As an observer, I wasn't too impressed, but I would certainly like to evaluate them as a user.

Craig

• WKC Mod
A Weberific Saturday!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »
Thanks for the post and the photos,Thin Blue Smoke!  I wish they'd go nationwide with the restaurants, I'd love to attend some classes too! Hey Duke! Do I spy a Weber 70s Roastand inside that bird? Oh and I guess the smell of K never bothers me. I actually like it.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
Thanks for the post and the photos,Thin Blue Smoke!  I wish they'd go nationwide with the restaurants, I'd love to attend some classes too! Hey Duke! Do I spy a Weber 70s Roastand inside that bird? Oh and I guess the smell of K never bothers me. I actually like it.
No, it was a custom stand that I shouldn't have let go. Now, what's the story behind that tagline?

Craig

• WKC Mod
A Weberific Saturday!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
It's a line from the Steely Dan song Deacon Blues. One of my all time favorite tunes. I replaced the word "game" ;)