Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef day.  (Read 2275 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Beef day.
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
Yesterday was a day to cook some beef. I had run our supply of brisket down to nothing so it was time to smoke some. While I was shopping I saw bottom round and got that too without being too sure how I would cook it. I had the thought that it would go in the mini-WSM with the brisket. A little research once home revealed that one way to make the round was to cook it until it hit about 120° internal and then slice it for Italian beef. I wanted to catch the drippings so I decided to do the round separately.

The brisket, though the biggest that Sam's had, was just a little too big to fit the rack on the mini-WSM. I sliced  corner off the thin end of the flat and then realized that if I stacked it on top, it would be just about the same thickness as the point end. I decided to cook it that way with the fat side down. I foiled the water bowl and seasoned the brisket (ala Aaron Franklin) with salt and pepper. It went on the top rack of the mini with some oak, mesquite and apple mixed in with the briquettes. I now use the bottom section from my SJG for smoking and the vents were open less than 1/2" and that's where I left them. That resulted in a cooker temperature of about 330° which drifted down to about 300° during the six hours of the smoke. I didn't touch the vents until it was time to shut the cooker down! After resting the brisket I trimmed some pieces to taste and they were great!. In the picture you can see some of the fat I trimmed prior to cooking draped on the meat side of the brisket. These rendered nicely and made a great "guilty pleasure" for the cook.  ;D

I did the bottom found in my 18 1/2" kettle using a wire charcoal basket from my SS Performer. I used some mesquite and apple mixed with the Cowboy lump to provide some smoke. With all vents wide open, a thermometer stuck through the lid vent read about 300° through the cook. I used a cast iron pan under the roast to capture drippings. I started the roast fat side down and draped some of the fat trimmed from the brisket over the top. I turned it a couple times and when I did check temperature, it was already at 139° so I took it off and covered it with foil to rest. As it rested, it gave up more juices which I combined with the pan drippings and some beef soup base and a little potato starch to make the au jus. I sliced the round as thin as I could and it made a pretty good Italian beef. I had some with some hot giardiniera on whole wheat bread for dinner last night. (Brisket for lunch today. :D )

No vegetables were harmed during the preparation of this meat. ;)
kettles, smokers...

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Beef day.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
Love it! I've been looking for a good Italian beef recipe so I can cook some up soon.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 03:27:01 PM »
Sounds terrific Hank.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Beef day.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
Right on hank! Looks like a killer meal!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »

Sharp Cookups, both !!!

Thank You for the prep / cookup, etc rundowns.....those are really a good reference for folks......

I've harmed Great Northern white beans & onions & stuff while cooking beef like that...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Where's the final product, Hank?!?!? I miss me some good Italian Beef!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
Pork Day is my favourite, but I think Beef Day is second. ;)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 05:55:24 AM »
Great cook, Hank.  I lol'd at the no veggies harmed comment. 
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:58:45 AM »
Where's the final product, Hank?!?!? I miss me some good Italian Beef!
In the freezer! I just plopped some pieces on whole wheat bread with some hot peppers and had it that way. Rather unceremonious and not photo-worthy. ;)

Pork Day is my favourite, but I think Beef Day is second. ;)

Ken
I would be hard pressed to choose! I really like both.

Great cook, Hank.  I lol'd at the no veggies harmed comment. 
I'm almost always doing some kind of veggies when I cook, but not this time. ;)
kettles, smokers...

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
Looks great hank! Guess I need to start searching CL for a meat cutter...Bottom Round, thanks for the learning lesson.