Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tell Us About your Hot Streak  (Read 1309 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Tell Us About your Hot Streak
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »
So I hadn't seen a topic like this so I thought maybe it would be fun to start one.  I was recently on a hot streak and now I think another member I know is on one.  I think everyone here occasionally gets lucky, but sometimes there is just that short period of time where the planets align and you are simply on a hot streak.  Before we all get started lets lay a few ground rules. 

1.) Respect the streak.  If you are currently on one DO NOT POST AND JINX IT.  Wait until you are certain yours is over.  It has been a few weeks now since I have gotten lucky so I feel confident that mine has ended. 
2.) While we all love pics, try to keep them in a reasonable amount.  We all enjoy posting our finds and restores in their own individual post so lets keep it that way.  This is just a fun way for everyone to be like "NO WAY!"  If you made a post about the kettle I would encourage you post a link to your story/restore so others can look into it more if they are interested. 
3.) Try to share the amount of time between each find.  I think it can be fun just how crazy lucky we get sometimes. 

With this in mind my next post will have a bit more eye candy and short story telling!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:25:51 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
Re: Tell Us About your Hot Streak
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 07:09:10 PM »
My best Hot Streak was what got me collecting webers.
Found a green outrider for $20
4 days later found a performer, 18 WSM AND A weber Q300 all for $40 bucks (guy bought a traeger)
Same day found a Smokey joe gold for $5 (needed the wood handle)
2 days later found a  green one touch platinum

One of the best damn weeks I’ve had in a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 07:24:08 PM »
So not so long ago I had one heck of a week.  Looking back on it I am still kind of amazed at how lucky I was in such a short period of time.  It started with a kettle that wasn't so amazing, but was a good deal.  I don't even have photos of it, but I picked up a Red LE for $75 and with gas it probably cost me around $90.  A good find yes, but not amazing.  The fact that I took about a half day away from the wife had her mildly annoyed, but things were still civil. 

Then Monday night things started to get a bit wild.  I am doing my usual search on Marketplace and I see my first Yellow in the wild...a Yachtsman...  I message them and by some miracle they say it is mine and mark the post as SOLD minutes after to stop the messages from coming in.  This was without even paying with PayPal up front.  SUPER lucky, but then there is the fallout with the wife.  I have to tell her I need to make a 6+ hour round trip Tuesday night to get this bad boy because I can't get someone else to grab it quickly.  I tell her "Babe, the yellows are super rare...I might never see one in the wild again and if I do it will be years.  I gotta get it."  She rolls her eyes and tells me to get it.  I jokingly tell a few other WKC members "Knowing my luck I will find another Yellow in a week and she will call me a liar"  Here is a bit of an update on this one as it currently is.  If you are interested in this story and restore you can find it here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/first-vintage-find-is-a-yachtsman!/msg424218/#msg424218

So I spend the next several days essentially kissing up to the wife to make up for the fact that I have been away from home two days out of the week already.  Friday afternoon rolls around and I am scrolling through marketplace (like an addict after the Yachtsman) and I find a speckled offset SJ.  Again this one is far away and I am freaking out because Tuesday didn't exactly go over well.  I quickly ask the seller if they would ship and send them funds via PayPal before the bidding war begins.  They agree and for $26 and a long wait I now have a beautiful speckled offset SJ.  No story or post on this one yet, but soon. 

After three grills in less than a week I am really trying to keep the wife happy.  I take her kayaking on Saturday, give her a nice lunch date, and have a relaxing mid afternoon at home.  We head to the parents house and are just relaxing when I find another bombshell and this one is listed as FREE.  Another yellow...THE GOURMET.  I message the seller within minutes of posting it and they marked it as SOLD right away.  I freak out (as is my wife cause I am panicking over a grill multiple times this week) and start trying to work out pick up with a relative.  I paid them $35 bucks to make it a priority and the next day they happily reported that it had been secured.  I will post more about this beauty later as well. 

Lastly, while this wasn't my pick up, during this SAME WEEK I am cruising on Marketplace late at night and find what looked to be like a cheap parts kettle.  I click on it and flip through the pictures and can just barely at the top you can see "DEMO".  I message @PotsieWeber immediately and tell him to go for it and he bravely went after it.  You can read more here:http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-i-acquired-the-pimply-assed-old-grill-who-thinks-she-is-a-star/

Well that wraps it up for me.  I hope I have another streak to report back with sooner rather than later. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:58:02 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »

So not so long ago I had one heck of a week.  Looking back on it I am still kind of amazed at how lucky I was in such a short period of time.  It started with a kettle that wasn't so amazing, but was a good deal.  I don't even have photos of it, but I picked up a Red LE for $75 and with gas it probably cost me around $90.  A good find yes, but not amazing.  The fact that I took about a half day away from the wife had her mildly annoyed, but things were still civil. 

Then Monday night things started to get a bit wild.  I am doing my usual search on Marketplace and I see my first Yellow in the wild...a Yachtsman...  I message them and by some miracle they say it is mine and mark the post as SOLD minutes after to stop the messages from coming in.  This was without even paying with PayPal up front.  SUPER lucky, but then there is the fallout with the wife.  I have to tell her I need to make a 6+ hour round trip Tuesday night to get this bad boy because I can't get someone else to grab it quickly.  I tell her "Babe, the yellows are super rare...I might never see one in the wild again and if it do it will be years.  I gotta get it."  She rolls her eyes and tells me to get it.  I jokingly tell a few other WKC members "Knowing my luck I will find another Yellow in a week and she will call me a liar"  Here is a bit of an update on this one as it currently is.  If you are interested in this story and restore you can find it here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/first-vintage-find-is-a-yachtsman!/msg424218/#msg424218

So I spend the next several days essentially kissing up to the wife to make up for the fact that I have been away from home two days out of the week already.  Friday afternoon rolls around and I am scrolling through marketplace (like an addict after the Yachtsman) and I find a speckled offset SJ.  Again this one is far away and I am freaking out because Tuesday didn't exactly go over well.  I quickly ask the seller if they would ship and send them funds via PayPal before the bidding war begins.  They agree and for $26 and a long wait I now have a beautiful speckled offset SJ.  No story or post on this one yet, but soon. 

After three grills in less than a week I am really trying to keep the wife happy.  I take her kayaking on Saturday, give her a nice lunch date, and have a relaxing mid afternoon at home.  We head to the parents house and are just relaxing when I find another bombshell and this one is listed as FREE.  Another yellow...THE GOURMET.  I message the seller within minutes of posting it and they marked it as SOLD right away.  I freak out (as is my wife cause I am panicking over a grill multiple times this week) and start trying to work out pick up with a relative.  I paid them $35 bucks to make it a priority and the next day they happily reported that it had been secured.  I will post more about this beauty later as well. 

Lastly, while this wasn't my pick up, during this SAME week I am cruising on Marketplace late at night and find what looked to be like a cheap parts kettle.  I click on it and flip to through the pictures and just barely out at the top you can see "DEMO".  I message @PotsieWeber immediately and tell him to go for it and he bravely went after it.  You can read more here:http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-i-acquired-the-pimply-assed-old-grill-who-thinks-she-is-a-star/

Well that wraps it up for me.  I hope I have another streak to report back with sooner rather than later.

2 YELLOWS!!! You must have a rabbits foot in your back pocket.

ISO Red Outrider.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 02:33:15 AM »
Good streaks fellas! I will hold off a few more days I guess just in case that ranger is about to pop up here in BFE

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »
I just had a lucky day. Been looking for my first redhead and found this on OfferUp for 30$. My father in law has been enjoying my new Weber  collection/appreciation and he always mentions that he had a redhead back in the day that he would take everywhere but he accidentally sold it when he sold his motor home. So I’ve been on the lookout for months and last night one popped and I was able to message him within 2 hours and he asked I pick it up today. So I slept like a kid on Christmas Eve hoping I was a good boy and Santa would come in the morning. Well he did and I was able to grab her. While riding that high I took a peak on Craigslist and saw a 26 on there she’s seen better days but after a little negotiations I was able to score my first 26 for 60$. I’m through the moon and can’t wait to spend all day tomorrow cleaning them up. (Oh and the redhead will be a birthday present to my father in law that’s next month)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »
NICE scores.  Your father-in-law will enjoy the redhead & scoring a modern 26 for $60 is awesome.  I believe the grates for all the modern ones were SS, so that is pretty darn sweet and I'm guessing the condition is mostly a bit of cosmetics.  For $60, even if you have to secure the leg sockets, who cares?
regards,
Hal

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »
Last hot streak I has was on my honeymoon!!!!!

I was tired.

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 06:50:10 PM »
Thanks. I didn’t know about the grates. I really can’t wait to get my hands on them and clean them up

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 03:47:16 AM »
Last hot streak I has was on my honeymoon!!!!!

I was tired.
Too funny
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
Score these two this week.