Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket Rookie  (Read 996 times)

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
Brisket Rookie
« on: June 02, 2019, 06:15:34 AM »
I've been smoking various proteins for my entire adult life but mostly smaller hunks of meat or smaller critters. Yesterday I decided to get a Sam's Club membership and get some brisket on the smoker today. I picked up an 8.5 lb. Choice packer. When I got it unwrapped and began trimming, I noticed that the point was tiny. It's there but is probably only 4-5 oz. precooked weight. Poor butchering job. I guess I'll have to check that a little better the next time. I see that Sam's sometimes has USDA Prime briskets but they didn't have them yesterday. I'll have to keep my eye out for those.

Anyway, I'm doing this one Texas style (kosher salt, pepper) and wrapping in pink butcher paper at the stall. Running my WSM at 250° fired with KBB and my favorite smoke wood combo–Peach and Pecan. We'll see how it goes.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Brisket Rookie
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 08:30:07 AM »
Looks good from here!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 09:10:57 AM »
Oh I betcha that’s gonna turn out awesome! I have yet to do a brisket . I have one in the freezer just waiting for a weekend when I have time !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »
I don't know but it seems to me you have to get up closer to 12+ pounds before it's possible to get a nice piece. Don't know where you are but try straight pecan or mesquite some time if you can get it. Those are the classic woods in Texas for brisket.

Anyway, you're in the perfect temperature zone so be patient and have a coupla six packs handy. I suspect you're in for a nice feed :D

And thumbs up for keeping the rub simple. That's all you need!
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »
Should turn out grate.  Keeping it simple for a first brisket is a good recipe for success. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 01:56:15 PM »
Looking good! Keep us updated!

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »
I've been buying choice from Restaurant Depot in the 10# range and so far they've been well trimmed.  I also took a hint from Harry Soo - when I hit the stall, I wrap and put it in my oven at 275°F.  I think it turns out better with this method.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 06:14:52 AM »
Looks grate
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 07:51:57 AM »
He never posted back with the bark pics!

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »
Sorry for the late update. It took a whole lot longer than I expected. Ended up not being as moist as I would like but a good first go at it. The attached picture was taken with the meat cold so it doesn't have the nice sheen.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 04:58:16 PM by powermatt99 »

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 11:51:14 PM »
Looking good :)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 07:26:08 AM »
Sorry for the late update. It took a whole lot longer than I expected. Ended up not being as moist as I would like but a good first go at it. The attached picture was taken with the meat cold so it doesn't have the nice sheen.
If your flat slices come out a little dry, which is not uncommon, save the drippings if you wrapped in foil or paper, defat them, and dredge your slices in the au jus.   Makes a difference imo. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 10:15:31 AM »
Looks good from here. How long did it end up taking?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 11:13:16 AM »
It took a little under 17 hours to probe tender. Though a bit on the dry side, it was definitely tasty. I used some of the drippings mixed with butter and BBQ sauce as a glaze to add a little moisture and better mouth feel. The leftovers became chopped (more pulled than chopped, tbh) brisket mixed with the glaze. IF there's any left after lunch today, I'll put them in a food saver bag and freeze them for the winter when Wisconsin weather curbs my grilling proclivities.

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 11:16:52 AM »
I have yet to try a brisket as well, i think my first one will happen this summer.