Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Conversion Question  (Read 962 times)

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
Conversion Question
« on: May 17, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
I recently pulled a 3-burner manifold out of a LP Weber grill and dropped it into another 3-burner, but this one was originally NG. On the low setting the grill is getting over 425 temp. The entire manifold was transferred over and used a new hose/regulator and still the same issue. Do I need to replace the burners to get it to run at the proper temp? Is there a regulator inside those as well that I'm unaware of?

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
Re: Conversion Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:53:13 AM »
Purchased new burners that coincided with a LP gasser for a conversion from NG to LP. Currently have a LP manifold and burner set in the grill. The burners almost sound like they are re-igniting. Any idea what’s causing this? New hose/regulator on it as well. I will admit neither burners or hose/regular are from Weber.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
What color are your flames?  You may need to adjust the wind screens.

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »
They’re not appearing in the blue color much, mainly the yellow/orange color. Is that my issue?

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
The holes that the new burners have are larger holes that feature fewer in numbers rather than those tiny slits that are closer together many more in numbers. If that makes any sense.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 05:45:16 PM »
If you look at the orifices on the old natural gas valves and the new Lp valves do the Lp orifices appear to be noticeably smaller?
Or do they look the same?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
If you look at the orifices on the old natural gas valves and the new Lp valves do the Lp orifices appear to be noticeably smaller?

The orifices on the NG are larger than the LP. That's how it should be, right?

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
What color are your flames?  You may need to adjust the wind screens.
Adjusted the screens slightly closed from where they were originally sent at. Flame seems to be more stable now at the blue coloring.

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 08:40:55 AM »
So I've confirmed the orifice size is the smaller hole size of the 2 and i adjusted the screen to be more closed. Thoughts? If i open the burner screen will that just allow more air inside, thus making the flame more out of control and orange in color? Grill is cooling down now so that's why i ask about closing the screen.

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »

After looking at this some more i realized the the manifold did come from a grill that my father gave me. Back with the propane first came out there was the craze about the "quick connect" system. I looked at the connection point on the manifold to the hose and thought about this....

Could THIS be the issue you think?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:00:13 AM by GrillSavage »