Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mold in my kettle ???  (Read 1046 times)

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
Mold in my kettle ???
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Was out in the garage tonight messing round when I open the lid to my performer to discover mold… I’ve never had this problem before I looked in all the rest of my grills and nothing. I did putmy performer in the garage a few weeks back As I made some free room in the garage the last time I cooked with it I let it burn down pretty hard but I didn’t scrape it but there’s quite a bit of mold in here I’m gonna get the coals real hot and fired up . Burn some of this shit off .... What do you guys think did I not get it clean enough before putting it in the garage, it’s only been sitting for about 3 weeks . Kinda took me by surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
Re: Mold in my kettle ???
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
Forgot the pic ....

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »

I had the same thing happen with a couple of grills in had in my garage. They both had recently been cooked on. Never have it happen outside.  Probably has to do with conditions being perfect for mold to grow. Warm, with no air circulation.  Outside, there is always enough wind and air movement to make it inhospitable for mold to grow.  I have quite a few grills in the garage and it has only happened to ones I recently cooked on.  Ones that had old rusty grates I have not restored or cooked on never get mold on them.  They sell machines for marine application that have little fans that circulate the air.  They prevent mold inside boats cabins of boats and houseboats.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
Mold is generally found where you have moisture. I've seen what looks like a science project inside my WSM when I forgot to empty the water pan (one of the reasons I stopped using water). I have cleaned my kettle and grates in the past by filling it full of balled-up newspaper sheets, then turning the grate upside down and burning it out, and this also took care of the mold in the WSM. The direct flames seem to get things hotter than just a charcoal fire.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 02:21:28 PM »
If stored in a closed door such as garage, leave the vents open for air circulation and minimize the likelihood of mold growth.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
That’s gotta be what it is. I had the vents closed . I got a full chimney of hot coals in there now . Gonna let it burn off and give it a DEEP cleaning

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
Had the same issue with a 22"Kettle stored over the winter with a weber cover.Spring time it was quite moldy but a full hot chimmney and elbow grease later you can never tell now;) Agree leave vents open if stored inside to reduce moisture build up

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Me being a new kettle owner this is good to know I never thought about possible mold growth. I do store mine in the garage or shed but I wash my grill grate the next morning after cooking in the sink with a Scotch Brite SS pad and some max power dish soap which might help. I also spray both sides of the grate before cooking with Crisco Grill Master which sure helps with the sink wash a lot but my grates are new so we'll see over time. I'm gonna start leaving my vents open too.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
This was really informative. Thanks for asking and thanks everyone for sharing!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 04:30:45 AM »
this has happened to more of us than care to admit including myself LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 04:53:53 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys ! I burned two l full hot chimneys through it last night. Looks like it’s all burned off, today I’ll get in there and give it a deep clean.  Now I’ll now to keep my vents OPEN while storing in the garage !!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 05:56:16 AM »
It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
Too many kettles, not enough time.