Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brand new weber owner!  (Read 1549 times)

pit smokin madman!

• Happy Cooker
Brand new weber owner!
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »
New charcoal grill owner? Absolutely not.  I'm a pit smoker, offset barrel, and I am tired of lighting my pit on fire (literally) when I just want to grill. All the grease from 8+ hours of smoke over multiple times catches on fire whenever I move the coals into the pit. Last time was the last straw: it burned so hot it burned the finish off the exterior of the barrel.  It was then that I decided to pick up a Weber kettle for (1) those times when I just want to grill and (2) those times when my pit is full and I still want to make sides.

So I grabbed a used 'premium' kettle today off CL. I think the last owner had let it sit in  the rain. The ash can was filled at least 1/5 of the way with water. Furthermore, knowing nothing about it except simple physics and general grilling 'gut instinct', the top & bottom dampers both feel sticky.  Removing the ash can was no walk in the park either.

I searched briefly, but did not find-- what do you guys typically use to lubricate the action on the dampers, that's food-friendly but viscous enough to not get burned off too quickly in the heat?  Peanut oil? Anyone use a dry lube like graphite?

Thanks for your time. I'm happy to be here with you and with another grill with NO KNOBS! (I tease family and friends about that al the time!)  I'll be picking up the pizza-oven insert tomorrow too, so I will be reviewing those threads with interest.

Thanks for your replies and thoughts,
Steve
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:59:24 PM by pit smokin madman! »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Brand new weber owner!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »
@pit smokin madman! , first off, Welcome, second, no need to lube the dampers, they are "glued" shut from grease build up. Just light a fire in her and the dampers will free up, some of the guys here use simple green and dental floss to get in there and free it up. As for the lower damper, that one can be removed and the bowl cleaned with a razor blade and 0000 steel wool. Good luck!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
Welcome from Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:02:52 AM »
To clean the vents one trick, while the grill is cold, is to spray the outside of the lid vent with a hose while simultaneously working the vent open & closed. Do the same from the inside for the ash sweeps.

If you leave alotashit in your grill it'll flare up just like your other cooker. Use a wooden or plastic scraper to push the gunk into the ash can periodically.

The ash can problem might be caused by one or both parts being out of round and dragging on each other.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »
Hello and welcome from Eugene, Oregon.   I use my Kettle for grilling all the time   ...   and for L&S, and for M&S, and for H&F, and ... I keep the gunk out with a gunk(/drip) pan.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 04:25:49 AM »
Relatively new to the game as well... but I've jumped off the deep end and have been acquiring and cleaning kettles.  (I'm at four all of a sudden.)

I find that nothing more than elbow grease has been needed.  I followed the tip on the razor scraper and 0000 steel wool (also used some 000 I had laying around without any noticeable hazing/scratching).  It is amazing how the finish on these holds up.

I've found that getting the grates to move is much the same.  Once they're freed up, scrubbed a bit with a bristle brush at the edges, scrubbed as much as you can inside the vent holes... then moving the vent a bit, and repeating, you can accomplish all you need.  They loosen up enough to not be annoying (and I think having them slightly resistant is a good thing).

Keeping the kettle (reasonably) clean overall does keep the cooking experience a little less flamey.  ;-) 

Enjoy your kettle!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:35:56 AM »
To answer your question. I use nothing to lubricate. Doesn't need it.

I use mine as a smoker, mostly, grill secondly. The catch pan that keeps the coals separate from the indirect part where the food is, does a fantastic job of keeping the fat drippings to a minimum. Cooking direct they get caught up in the ash, and I generally at least once a year give the inside of my rigs a brushing with warm water, dawn dish soap and a nylon scrub brush. No flares, no fat smoke which is bitter, just a clean grilling experience...

I used the same method with my now rusted out New Braunfels Bandera smoker as well... Just keep it clean, and no flare ups. Fail to keep it clean and you have a problem...

Best of luck to you!
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.