Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Maverick Temperature Probe Issues  (Read 700 times)

Raindog

• WKC Brave
Maverick Temperature Probe Issues
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »
I keep going through Maverick thermometer probes. Mostly the ET-72 style models. I only use Mavericks for my rotisserie cooking. The reader is small and easy to attach to rotisserie handle so that's why I've been using them. Anyone else having problems with the probes crapping out?  I have three of the readers that still work when I use a new probe. Maybe I'm doing something wrong to cause the probes to go bad. ( When bad I get --- or way high reading when I insert into raw meat)...  :-\

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Re: Maverick Temperature Probe Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
How do you mount the probe on the roti?

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 04:34:13 PM »
How do you mount the probe on the roti?

I just snake it through the ring and counterweight on the spit. Maybe I'm cleaning it wrong after use. I srub it down with scouring pad. It seems like it gets loose where the braided "wire" connects to the probe.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 10:25:45 PM »
As I recall, Maverick recommends that you NOT get any water in the probe (It never gets totally dry before the next use and shorts out).  They also suggest that a gentle cleaning of the probe is best.  At the asking price of those items, they can't be built as sturdy as a Buick (I don't think).

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 02:45:05 AM »
That started happening to mine about 2 years after I got it, but it was sporadic. It still works most of the time. I always run my cables through the vents so no pinching them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:40:35 AM »
As I recall, Maverick recommends that you NOT get any water in the probe (It never gets totally dry before the next use and shorts out).  They also suggest that a gentle cleaning of the probe is best.  At the asking price of those items, they can't be built as sturdy as a Buick (I don't think).

SJ

Thanks SmokenJoe. This explains it. After fishing it out of the catch all drawer I would sometimes rinse off right before using  :-[  Maybe my wife's right, I should try reading directions sometime.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »
@Raindog    De Nada ...

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".